Which pump?

Jun 9, 2010
If you had a couple hundred dollars and needed a pump which one would you buy, a 4000 GPH Intex pump or a Hayward pump? I saw where someone on here rigged their Intex filter up to a Whisper supreme I believe it was, and they didn't use the Intex pump just the filter of it, and this was only temp because they were going to get a sand filter later. We're trying to figure out which pump to get and I thought since I have a 2500 gph Intex pump that is torn up, I/we might could rig ours like that with a Hayward if I could get a good one for this price..... until we could get the sand filter. Just wondering what you all think about this and which way you would go? The Hayward or the Intex? Also do you guys have any idea on how long the Hayward pumps usually last? From what I understand the Intex pumps last 2-3 seasons. ???

If you can get a good deal on a 1/2hp pump I would go for it. Sometimes if you check Craigslist you can get a good deal on a used pump and filter at the same time. Hayward is a major brand, however they do not make the motor that drives the pump. Most of the major brands use the same manufacturer to supply the motors for their pumps. Any major brand such as Hayward or Pentair will be a good pump. The difference is in the warranty and customer support, should you choose to by a new pump. For a pool as small as yours you don't want to go over 1 hp for your pump, and a 1/2 hp would be best. If you can find a two speed 1/2 or 3/4 hp pump that would be the best!

I would not buy another Intex pump, especially if you plan to be using this pool indefinitely. They are underpowered and are built as inexpensively as possible and do not stand up to heavy use.

Thank you Zea. I was looking at one that was 1 hp and one was 1.5 hp. but was a little worried they would make my power bill high. I haven't seen a 1/2 hp. Yeah I've been checking Craigslist everyday. :(
Was just looking online and have another question now if you don't mind. Say I get the 3/4 hp Pentair or the 3/4 hp Hayward pump, will either one hook up to the other brand if I find a sand filter that isn't the brand I bought? If I get a Pentair pump and then later find a Hayward sand filter, will it hook right up to the sand filter? This is my very first time at owning a pool so I have no clue.

It would be best to match the pump with the filter. If you get a pentair aboveground system, everything will be matched up and will kick the snot out of one of those intex pump/filter deals. I'd agree with zea3, just get a 1/2 and a sand filter.

Thank you all so much!
We were in a rush because the pool was getting nasty-er by the day. The little pump I had running on it was the smallest they make, I think. Anyway I hate to say this after I asked for your advise but hubby wanted to go with the intex pump because it would be easier to hook into the pool he thought. I really would have liked to get the Hayward because of them lasting much longer. But hopefully this one will last us awhile, that's what I hope anyway. I think he was afraid we wouldn't find a used sand filter. Fed X delivered it today and we're refilling the pool now and got it all hooked up. We put the plunger valves down by the pump and filter so they wouldn't be hanging on the side.
Anyway I really do appreciate your effort in trying to help me!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.