Which problem first?????

KjTX

May 20, 2018
Tx
I have been battling algae for weeks and losing, majorly. I just started using my K-2006 FAS-DPD chlorine testing kit. Here’s where I am:

CYA: we’ll over 100
FC:7.8
PH: below 7.0 (took 35 drops to bring it to7.4 ?
TA: 140

where do I start?????
doI need to drain AGAIN????
I have crepe myrtles constantly throwing petals in my pool ?

PLEASE HELP!!!!! I teach reading, not science, for a reason ?

Hi there,

Was this after you drained that you think you measured about 90 CYA?

Have you read up in pool school? Pool School - Pool School

To get rid of algae, you will want to follow the SLAM process Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

You will find it easier to follow through with lower CYA as that will reduce your initial chlorine requirements. You'll want to be using liquid chlorine (bleach) and not dry chlorine that will add even more CYA.

Pool math will help you calculate your necessary chemical additions. PoolMath

And if you look at the chlorine/CYA chart you'll see why reducing your CYA further will help the process as well as save you on using as much testing reagents. Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

Yes. I retested, after a rain. I was misunderstanding the test, but I figured it out. It’s still reading 100. I’ll do a half drain again tomorrow. Thank you all!

Last edited:
Be sure the new water was mixed in well. Should have the pump circulating for an hour or two before testing.

You can follow the SLAM Process procedure at CYA of 70. SLAM level FC is 28 ppm.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok, been doing the SLAM, but there was always a little algae left. I figured out that it’s testing in a folded seem of my pool. I’m going to drain some (CYA is back up to 80) scrub that and start again BUT m alkalinity is 250! Is this something to try and fix first?

Current readings:
CYA 80
FC 9
PH 7.6
Alkalnity 250 (its high in the city water)
calcium 80

should I just drain it all, scrub, clean all parts, and start again? Not my first choice, but I feel I’m losing this battle.

I’m using a Taylor K-2006 FAS-DPD

Don’t worry about your TA. How your PH behaves will say what you should do about your TA.

Deal with the algae.

you can SLAM w/ CYA of 80, but you have to keep FC above 31 for the SLAM to work until you pass all the criteria...get your FC up to SLAM level, test/add chlorine as often as possible, brush the pool well (and stairs, ladders, anything else in the pool, if you have frog logs etc get them out and bleach those too)....you should see gradual clearing, it should start to hold the FC levels longer until eventually you pass the 3 SLAM criteri. While you are doing SLAM you may see your filter pressure start to raise, if it gets above ~25% normal pressure backwash so the filtration stays optimal during SLAM.......then you can gradually let your FC drop to maint. level. After algae taken care of, continue to lower your CYA and any other balancing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.