Which controller to get in 2024?

Aug 11, 2012
New York
We recently moved. Our old place had a Jandy Aqualink RS with a PoolPilot Digital DIG-220 and Aquacal Heat Pump that I was able to control locally, without the cloud, using AqualinkD open source software and Home Assistant. It worked extremely well despite the Jandy being a bit of a PITA to deal with due do its proprietary nature. I could control the pool instantly through my phone and even set up alerts if, say, the pool pump was still running when we went to bed.

Our new place has a pool with an old school pump timer with no pins it it. You basically let it run day and night or you open the box and hit a breaker. So the system needs some upgrading lol.

Which modern controller(s) and SWGs would you all recommend that have open interfaces, can be controlled locally, and integrate with one another and Home Assistant? Or should I just try to replicate my old Jandy setup?

Hayward OmniPL
Pentair EasyTouch w/ ScreenLogic (now superseded by Intellicenter.)
Jandy iAquaLink

Those are the three big ones right now in the market. As a service guy, I prefer Pentair EasyTouch the best. Put it on my own pool at home. They sell a great bundle where you get the panel, automatic valves and salt cell all in one box. I find the user interface simple and “easy” to navigate.

But that’s just me. They’re all good.

Hayward OmniPL has been a nice upgrade for Hayward because the outdoor remote at the unit doubles as the antenna for the WiFi. So you don’t need a separate antenna or anything extra to hook up to your router.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: fharczuk
I do not recommend anyone install a Jandy Aqualink if they have a choice. I ripped out my old Aqualink and put in a Pentair IntelliCenter.

A Pentair IntelliConnect may work for you if you have a simple pool with no spa.

Otherwise the Pentair IntelliCenter. Pentair declared the EasyTouch system obsolete and I don’t suggest it for new installs.

If you don’t want Pentair then the Hayward OmniPL is a fine system.

Which modern controller(s) and SWGs would you all recommend that have open interfaces, can be controlled locally, and integrate with one another and Home Assistant?

None of them have open interfaces, although I think all have been reverse-engineered. I don't use HA, but I looked at it a couple years ago and the integration seemed sorta weak (at least with Pentair, which is the only brand I cared about). But of course if you're a python programmer you can improve it.

I have AquaLink RS. Came with the house. IMO AqualinkD is the main/only reason to prefer Jandy. I'd go with Pentair if I were starting from scratch and have thought about it. The negatives of Jandy in my book are clunky app UI, small salt water chlorine generator options (including small production rate), reported limits on Pentair VF pump integration, and scant DIY support. Also, some parts prices are ridiculous (that's four 4-pin molex connectors connected in parallel; production cost about $8) but Pentair may have similar. Good luck with your decision.

Hayward OmniPL
Pentair EasyTouch w/ ScreenLogic (now superseded by Intellitouch.)
Jandy iAquaLink

Those are the three big ones right now in the market. As a service guy, I prefer Pentair EasyTouch the best. Put it on my own pool at home. They sell a great bundle where you get the panel, automatic valves and salt cell all in one box. I find the user interface simple and “easy” to navigate.

But that’s just me. They’re all good.

Hayward OmniPL has been a nice upgrade for Hayward because the outdoor remote at the unit doubles as the antenna for the WiFi. So you don’t need a separate antenna or anything extra to hook up to your router.

Any idea what the Hayward OmniPL cost and where to buy it? I searched the internet and couldn't find anything.

Any idea what the Hayward OmniPL cost and where to buy it? I searched the internet and couldn't find anything.
If you google HLPLUS4W and hit shopping you will find it. That’s the model you want that comes with the salt cell.

You’ll need a local pool professional to supply and install it for you. Unless you are familiar with installing subpanels, breakers, pool equipment wiring etc already. It’s going to be the new subpanel for your filtration system.

I would expect a bare minimum of $5K-6K.
If you have a pool/spa combo it will be more.

Hayward restricts much of their equipment to authorized dealers only and does not a low it to be sold retail to consumers.

Another reason to consider the Pentair Intellicenter that you can buy here...