Which Circupool SWG to get for 15,000g AGP?

Trick

Silver Supporter
Apr 21, 2015
Waterford, MI
This piece of junk Hayward Salt and Swim I've been running for the last 7 years has had another cell failure. That is 4 cells in 7yrs. Only 1 was my fault (added salt while it was on). I'm done! Time to upgrade.

DiscountSaltPool is having a great deal right now. Upgrade to the next larger size for $4. My upgraded choices are as follows:

Rj-30 for $1250
or
Universal 40 for $1050

Replacement cells are basically the same $600. To me this makes me think they have similar metal content and will probably last the same amount of time.

So for an $200 more (Rj-30) I get an extra 3yrs on the warranty and salt level readings. (I dont think Universal does salt level readings.) The upgrade seems worth it to me.

Do you think this is the best choice?

So for an $200 more (Rj-30) I get an extra 3yrs on the warranty and salt level readings. (I dont think Universal does salt level readings.) The upgrade seems worth it to me.
Did you read the manuals? Yes, the Universal has a salt reading. The last three years of the RJ's limited warranty isn't something I would use to make a purchasing decision.
1656758395565.png

The universal line has the ability to use many different easily attainable aftermarket cells , its a very basic & common older Hayward design. (Tried & true)
That availability/compatibility makes it my pick over the others aside from the good value (cost/output).
I don’t think circupool is going anywhere anytime soon but they have discontinued some other fancier models over the years. I personally don’t need bells & whistles or for it to look fancy. I just want it to last a reasonable amount of hours & have easily replaceable components.
There are others here who have went with the calimar & inyopools versions for even less coin & are quite happy
I have been looking at all 3 of these (in their 55/60k gal versions) as contenders for when my current swg goes caput.

Glad I posted. The compatibility of the Universal, its ability to tell the salinity level and the cost makes it the better choice IMO.

Thank you for the help!

I went down a similar path (snazzy design and bells and whistles vs basic/generic, which in the end has most of the same functionality anyway), and once looking at the Universal I looked around at other generic/universal units. I ended up with a Calimar unit for $625 (CaliMar® Salt Chlorinator for Inground Pools | Up to 40,000 Gallons | CMARSHA40-3Y), and it's been working just fine for the last year. Not saying that's right for everyone -- the Circupool units do look nice, but there are some good value alternatives out there for those wanting to get in at a lower price point.

same, went with the Universal 40 for my 10k pool mostly for the tried and true minimal technology. The internals of the steel control box are very simple with a fan, transformer, low tech circuitboard (I read about a place that can repair these boards for low cost). The box has a nice high gloss white paint which stays very cool to the touch in sunlight. The generate % settings go from 5-100% in 1% increments, the display shows all the diags and status values by cycling through the button. I have it wired into my intermatic with the pump. I did add another piece of screen over the rear air vents, lots of tiny lizards in Florida. Only had it for 7 months, its my first SWG, and its running great so far.

Reactions: Mdragger88
same, went with the Universal 40 for my 10k pool mostly for the tried and true minimal technology. The internals of the steel control box are very simple with a fan, transformer, low tech circuitboard (I read about a place that can repair these boards for low cost). The box has a nice high gloss white paint which stays very cool to the touch in sunlight. The generate % settings go from 5-100% in 1% increments, the display shows all the diags and status values by cycling through the button. I have it wired into my intermatic with the pump. I did add another piece of screen over the rear air vents, lots of tiny lizards in Florida. Only had it for 7 months, its my first SWG, and its running great so far.
That one thing I like about the edge, no fan and it runs cool. I have mine in a enclosed “pool room” so out of the heat to be safe

Reactions: Mdragger88

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
40-45K is the size you want. It is pretty suited for my 14K in ground... AG doesn't really make a difference.

The Universal 40 is basically the same manufacturer in China and unit as the Hayward SWCG. I currently am on about year 2.5 with mine and up until a few weeks ago it was absolutely great. Having the salt reading actually lets you know when you have to clean before the facet and when you have issues. But I am having an issue now that is making me think that the cell is going bad prematurely. I am going to post a new thread about this.

The Universal 40 does have a shorter warranty on the cell, but the replacement cells are cheaper and there is a possibility to get aftermarket cells for it... might be complex to figure out but possible.

I've also never hard anything terribly bad about the RJs...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.