Where's my water going?

Jul 15, 2016
Florida
Okay. I have been having an on-going leak saga for multiple months now. I finally gave up doing my own searching and hired a leakfinder guy to come in. He claimed to have found and fixed 4 leaks and told me that my skimmer line also had a slight leak in it at the entrance from the skimmer but that he wasn't able to fully fix it. My hands were a bit smaller than his so I was able to work in epoxy into the area he showed me. I then hooked up a section of vacuum hose to the skimmer pipe, closed the valve at the pump and left a head of a few feet of water in the hose for a day with minimal loss. So I think the skimmer one is resolved. Also, I have no overnight water loss.

However, I'm still losing water inconsistently at about 1/4" a day in the pool itself. The reason I say inconsistently is that it doesn't appear to happen overnight when the pump is off and it also doesn't appear to be happening when I have my solar panels off. (Before the other recent repairs, I was losing water overnight)

The thing I'd like input on are my solar panels. I manually kept the panels off and there was no water loss so I'm wondering if I have a problem there. I have done some experimenting and have measured that when the panels come on, my water level in the pool drops by about 4-5mm. I have 8 panels and a long pipe run up 2 stories, so I'm not surprised for it to drop that much. The other day when I manually turned them off, after an hour the water had drained itself back into the pool and the level rose by 4-5mm (what I would have hoped for them to do). However, yesterday, when I flipped them off it did not go back into the pool (what I'm assuming is happening most days). And when they went back on today the water dropped again by another 4-5mm (indicating that those lines needed to be filled again and weren't still holding yesterday's water). Any thoughts on where the water may be going? I have looked up at my roof and nothing appears wet. The ground in the area of the run of pipe to the panels also appears to be dry. Has anyone experienced this before? Is there anything else I should be looking for?

Going crazy -
Dennis

If there is a check valve in the piping to solar panels (to prevent drain back) it may be sticking - sometimes keeping the panels full and other times letting them drain back into pool. At least that would explain random pool level fluctuation.

Thanks. Check valve is only on the return portion in a vertical run from the roof heaters (keeping flow from going backwards up through the panels) so I don't think that's it. I do have a weird 3/4" drain line that I'm wondering if it could be wreaking havoc in some fashion (even though it ties back in further down the system). I know its there so the panels drain back into the pool once the system is off. Maybe I can put a schematic together to see if anyone thinks it's odd. I guess it's time to start digging some dirt to see if it's buried in the pipe run from the pump to the heaters.

A random 1/4" a day could be so to evaporation. The amount can depend on temp, humidity, wind, etc.

Here in the desert southwest, I lose 1/4" - 1/2" (or more) everyday do to evaporation.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.