Where would you put the lights in this pool?

TFPNoobie

Aug 5, 2020
Jamison, PA
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-20
The PB is going to be installing 2 lights (SR Smith Treo) in our pool and he's kinda set in his ways. Always seems a little reluctant to do things the way I ask but I think that's because he knows what works, but is unsure of what doesn't. So I'm not sure if he already has in his mind where he's putting them but I may not agree with that and wanted to get the input and experience from those on TFP beforehand so I don't have any regrets.

The top side of the picture (Side of steps) is the side that the house, patio, and deck are on. My thought was that would be the side of the lights. I'm also thinking of adding a 3rd light if needed. I read that you want the lights facing away from where you'll spend most of your time so the lights aren't shining into your eyes.

I read that you want the lights facing away from where you'll spend most of your time so the lights aren't shining into your eyes.
That's exactly it. Also consider any neighbors in that direction as they may hate you if they have line of sight without any fences / bushes.

Reactions: TFPNoobie
You may not have enough meat under the step to fit the light.

Given the uneven surfaces the lights may be at different depths and give an uneven look.

It will take a careful examination of the actual shell to figure out the best light locations on that side.

You may not have enough meat under the step to fit the light.

Given the uneven surfaces the lights may be at different depths and give an uneven look.

It will take a careful examination of the actual shell to figure out the best light locations on that side.
What do you think about that second option? Placed under that bench?

This provides more precise details on space around steps. I just can’t figure out where to put them. Pretty sure the PB is going to place one on each end. Maybe that’s the best bet 85151B89-6269-42B6-8974-40C16D33F621.jpeg

The PB is going to be installing 2 lights (SR Smith Treo) in our pool and he's kinda set in his ways. Always seems a little reluctant to do things the way I ask but I think that's because he knows what works, but is unsure of what doesn't. So I'm not sure if he already has in his mind where he's putting them but I may not agree with that and wanted to get the input and experience from those on TFP beforehand so I don't have any regrets.

The top side of the picture (Side of steps) is the side that the house, patio, and deck are on. My thought was that would be the side of the lights. I'm also thinking of adding a 3rd light if needed. I read that you want the lights facing away from where you'll spend most of your time so the lights aren't shining into your eyes.

You should ping sr smith and find out how many lumens those lights are. Pentair microbrites are about 500 lumens. They give a calc that you should shoot for 4 lumens per sqft of surface area of pool. In your case that is 30x14 = 420 sqft. This then requires ~1600 lumens or 3 microbrites. I don't know how bright the Treo lights are so you should send sr smith an email and find out. Given that they are only 5w I would expect the light range to be similar or less than microbrite.

The check out the jandy guide for lighting placement - https://www.jandy.com/-/media/zodiac/global/downloads/sl/sl4572.pdf

although I think you are locked in based on house location and some physical requirements that you are already looking into. I would go with 3 lights ... one by step - one in the middle and one under the bench (or on top although you can make arguments for either case).

Reactions: TFPNoobie
If you go above the bench (I did), it will create a shadow. I did not realize this when we put them in. If I knew, I'd of tried to see if he could have placed that light on the actual bench (lower in the pool) to light up the deep end. Here is a pic for reference. I think it looks really weird but I've got to accept it now.

Attachments

• 20211019_190809.jpg
    20211019_190809.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 39
If you go above the bench (I did), it will create a shadow. I did not realize this when we put them in. If I knew, I'd of tried to see if he could have placed that light on the actual bench (lower in the pool) to light up the deep end. Here is a pic for reference. I think it looks really weird but I've got to accept it now.
Excellent tip. Thank you for that! I'm guessing the thought was that the lower you go the more water you'd have to drain to replace? A lot of what I read says to keep them about a foot or two below the water surface.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You should ping sr smith and find out how many lumens those lights are. Pentair microbrites are about 500 lumens. They give a calc that you should shoot for 4 lumens per sqft of surface area of pool. In your case that is 30x14 = 420 sqft. This then requires ~1600 lumens or 3 microbrites. I don't know how bright the Treo lights are so you should send sr smith an email and find out. Given that they are only 5w I would expect the light range to be similar or less than microbrite.

The check out the jandy guide for lighting placement - https://www.jandy.com/-/media/zodiac/global/downloads/sl/sl4572.pdf

although I think you are locked in based on house location and some physical requirements that you are already looking into. I would go with 3 lights ... one by step - one in the middle and one under the bench (or on top although you can make arguments for either case).
According to the SR Smith rep, the Treos are only 171 lumens which seems incredibly underwhelming. That would mean about 8 lights, 345 sq ft of surface area.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.