Where to buy 99.9% ortho boric acid powder H3BO3 in ~50 pound bags or ~55 pound pails & what's a good price per pound for the borates?

Gary Davis

Aug 29, 2022
Modesto, California
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Where to buy 99.9% ortho boric acid powder/granules H3BO3 in ~50 pound bags or ~55 pound pails and what's a good price per pound?

First, I searched, and found plenty of threads on the what, when, where and how, but, surprisingly - none on the who & at what price.
After ten pages of search results, there wasn't a thread on only the question of where is the best place to buy a normal amount (about fifty pounds) of boric acid powder/granules.

This thread is intended to only be about where to source the good stuff at a good price in pool-sized quantities and not all about the very many other controversies and opinions about pool borates (which are already well hashed out in the many borate/borax threads above).

My preliminary search results on Sunday show initial prices in fifty pound increments (before tax & shipping) from under $1.50/pound to well over $4.00/pound (but I don't have any indication of availability yet, as almost all that I found from Walmart, Home Depot, Lowes, Amazon, etc., were listed as out of stock or backordered).

Yet industrial supply sources existed that had no prices so I will need to call them tomorrow.

Synonyms:
Borate, Boric Acid, Boracic acid, Borofax, Boron trihydroxide, Kill-off, Kjel-sorb, Orthoboric acid (H3BO3), Trihydroxyborane, hydrogen orthoborate​

So that we can have a universal thread that is solely about how to source 99.9% orthoboric acid powder/granules at a good price in pool sized increments, I hopefully opened this thread just now.

If you buy boric acid powder/granules in pool-sized increments, whom do you buy from and for how much?

Attachments

• boricacid.jpg
    boricacid.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 13
  • pH_equilibria.jpg
    pH_equilibria.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 5
  • borate_chart.jpg
    borate_chart.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 5
  • borate_dose.jpg
    borate_dose.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 4
  • borate_claims.jpg
    borate_claims.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 6
  • BoricAcid.pdf
    238 KB · Views: 1
  • bags.jpg
    bags.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 9
  • pail.jpg
    pail.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 9
  • bag.jpg
    bag.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 9
  • pails.jpg
    pails.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Farmerboyag.com has a good price.

Address: 50 W Stoever Ave, Myerstown, PA 17067.

The building is 275 feet x 200 feet = 55,000 square feet of warehouse space.

I have not bought from them but they seem legit from my research.

In business for 27 years.

Website for 25 years.

1667781304927.png

1667780601777.png
1667780499371.png

1667780416870.png

1667780268964.png

1667781028869.png

https://file.dos.pa.gov/search/business

https://www.dnb.com/business-direct..._ag_inc.a8e3a12ec398e2c3c38f8d4f0044f92e.html

Last edited:
Reactions: Saturn94
Buying directly from Duda is the best price on granular I have ever found so I quit shopping around.
i also like the bucket but sometimes there’s free shipping on the smaller quantities depends on what sale they have going. Most every other supplier I found online charged freight shipping so it negated any savings. Don’t use powder unless you like a mess, have alot of time to spare (hours) trying to get it to dissolve & like having to wear a mask 😷 the whole time. It’s not worth the small monetary savings. Ask me how I know…
Roach/ant killer should not be used as they don’t have to report their fillers so long as they aren’t a “hazardous chemical” so you may only end up with 1/2 the borates you think along with something else you don’t want or need in your pool even though it says 99%.
Also they are generally powdered.
If you have a farm supply located near you that carries granular you could go that route & probably save. Not the case for me though.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.