Damascus, MD
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
A few recent posts leads me to think this site is hosted on physical servers somewhere. Is that the case? I am just wondering why it isn't at godaddy or some other web host.

Erm, all websites are hosted on physical servers somewhere. What do you think GoDaddy (not a very good service, BTW) uses?

True - but I meant "physical" as in the administrator can/must go to the server and do stuff as apposed to a more virtualized environment where one does not have nor need access to the physical server.

• Haha
Reactions: Donldson
A few recent posts leads me to think this site is hosted on physical servers somewhere. Is that the case? I am just wondering why it isn't at godaddy or some other web host.

Read this, 6 Key Differences — "Shared Hosting vs. VPS Hosting" (2019 Guide)

Long story short, with a VPS (or dedicated server) you are running the show, with a site this big you probably want to setup automated tasks to pull DB backups, potentially mirror two servers every day for redundancy and load balancing. Have processes that run in the background that sizes and manages image uploads, automate admin alerts if the site goes down... just throwing out ideas. Yes you can do some of this stuff in a round about way on shared hosting, but if you have a platform that people are paying for (TFP sponsors) you really need the tools to back it up.

Read this, 6 Key Differences — "Shared Hosting vs. VPS Hosting" (2019 Guide)

Long story short, with a VPS (or dedicated server) you are running the show, with a site this big you probably want to setup automated tasks to pull DB backups, potentially mirror two servers every day for redundancy and load balancing. Have processes that run in the background that sizes and manages image uploads, automate admin alerts if the site goes down... just throwing out ideas. Yes you can do some of this stuff in a round about way on shared hosting, but if you have a platform that people are paying for (TFP sponsors) you really need the tools to back it up.

Thanks but it's what I do for a living. I could tell you what websites I support, but then I'd have to.... well you know.... ;)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.