Where does CYA go?

DThompson55

Bronze Supporter
Jun 20, 2016
Manchester, CT
I had my CYA right at 50 about a month ago using the TFP 100 test kit. But I've been having problems maintaining the pool so I took a water sample to Leslie Pool. They told me my CYA was currently at 10. So where does CYA go? We've had rain, but not enough to replace 80% of the pool water.

They told me my CYA was currently at 10.
They also told you that anything on the shelves inside their store isn’t harmful.

You have the Cadillac of test kits. We 100% trust your own judgment and 0% what the pool store says. Now you got me good and interested to see how far off they were.
:epds:

I lose CYA in the summer due to the heat but maybe 5-10ppm per month MAX. Lately I have been losing due to rain and overflow/dilution. The CYA test is super subjective as well unlike all the other tests. You did not mention if/what your own results were, but I wouldn't pee on Leslies if it was on fire.

Between summer temps and rain I can easily lose about 15ppm of CYA per month.

As for Leslies they serve a purpose. They are the cheapest source of LC for me by far. I also bought my VSP from them for about $1200 installed with a 4 year warranty. I am an educated consumer and I use them for what they are good for and ignore them for the rest. Just like I do with any other retailer.

Thanks all - very helpful insights. I added a gallon of the Leslie's 30% stabilizer yesterday and let it run over night and that brought the CYA up to 25. If the first gallon brought it up to 25 from 10, a difference of 15, the 2nd gallon should bring it up another 15 to 40. But who knows how that really works? The TFP pool math app said I should have added 208oz to bring it up to 50, so something's amiss. I'll report back tomorrow on the next CYA test. I normally buy at Ocean State. It was my first time in Leslie's in 5 years.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.