The-Russ

Dec 8, 2022
Cumming, GA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Im new to this, filled my new pool mid December so this is my 1st summer. I read a lot of threads here to educate myself and became very CYA Conscious.

3 weeks ago, I tested my water and my CYA was at about 29 so I used dichlor shock to get it up to around 35. I then switched to Cal Hypo. My pool started looking poor towards the end of last week, I cannot keep my dogs out of it, so I added a lot of chlorine. Today it looks ok (a little cloudy), but not pristine so I did a full test with my TFT Test kit and was shocked and could use some advice.

Here are my levels TFT (Leslie

FC - 1 (Leslie .5)
CC - .5 (Leslie 1.3)
PH - 7.5 (Leslie 7.6)
TA - 50 (Leslie 55)
CH - 275 (Leslie 275)
CYA - overflowed no reading (took to Leslie and they said CYA was 5)

where did my CYA go? Where did my AK go?

I have slammed my pool for the past couple days, I will add 2 lbs of cal hypo tonight. I also got a small bucket of TriChlor for my feeder since I have one and have never used it and my CYA is low. Not sure what to do.

Pool Chemistry... UGH!!!

Last edited:
where did my CYA go? Where did my AK go?
CYA degrades and can disappear a little each month by about 5 ppm. It needs to be tested monthly.

I have slammed my pool for the past couple days, I will add 2 lbs of cal hypo tonight.
The SLAM Process is best maintained with liquid chlorine. It is important to increase and maintain the proper (elevated) FC level until you pass all 3 SLAM criteria.

Use granular stabilizer to increase the CYA to 30 ppm then maintain the FC of 12 until SLAM completion.

For future reference, you have a great test kit. Don't waste your time at the pool store. A TA of 50 will be fine for now. We can address it more later after the SLAM. Good luck!

FYI in case you need it.

Adding CYA:
To increase CYA via granular stabilizer, place the required amount as calculated by the Poolmath calculator into a white sock and place in the poolside skimmer basket. For those concerned about suction flow to the pump, suspending the sock near a return jet or from a floating device will also suffice. Best never to allow undissolved granules to rest directly against the pool surface. After soaking for about 20-30 minutes, squeeze the sock often to help it dissipate. Once dissolved, consider your CYA adjusted to that programmed (target) level. CYA test readings should show a rise in 24-48 hours, however some pools may experience a longer delay to fully register. Best to confirm final CYA in about 5-7 days before adding any more stabilizer/conditioner.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.