Where do I start?!

I think I finally have my husband talked into getting a pool!!! We live in West Central Ohio and want to build our own inground pool. I have been pricing the different options for kits to purchase and have talked with some locals who have pools on their opinions. What do you consider when deciding between a chlorine and salt water pool? I have talked with two different companies within 30 miles of us and 1 recommends salt water and the other recommends chlorine. Please help! And if we do "take the plunge" I will be back with a lot of questions! :D

- - - Updated - - -

I just noticed I put this under water chemistry! Oops!

They are both chlorine pools. One you add chlorine manually and the other makes its own. No new pool in this day and age should be anything but a saltwater pool. They only contain 3.5 parts salt (The ocean is 35). Most people cannot even taste the salt.

Get some bids. Insist on a salt pool and post the bid details here with equipment list that includes model numbers.

Ditto, go SWG pool with DE filter for crystal clear water.

Also you need to think about electric heat pump vs. gas heater. That's a whole other debate. We're north of Pittsburgh and love our gas heater. Natural gas is cheap and it's more of an on demand system where a heat pump runs more often and maintains temp more consistently. We can easily get 2 degrees per hour with the gas heater and the solar cover keeps the heat in at night. Also, heat pumps are exponentially less efficient as air temps dip in the Fall so you're going to pay more to swim later in the season. Same for early spring.

They are both chlorine pools. One you add chlorine manually and the other makes its own. No new pool in this day and age should be anything but a saltwater pool. They only contain 3.5 parts salt (The ocean is 35). Most people cannot even taste the salt.

Get some bids. Insist on a salt pool and post the bid details here with equipment list that includes model numbers.

Thank you for responding! What are the reasons I should insist on saltwater? Thanks!

Thank you for responding! What are the reasons I should insist on saltwater? Thanks!

Less maintenance for one. Instead of adding chlorine every day in the form of bleach, the SWCG creates the chlorine from the saltwater with continual small amounts. My guess is the builder that wants you to not get a salt system would also recommend chlorine pucks which also contain CYA which builds up over time causing bigger issues. There is also the better water "feel" with saltwater. The small amount of salt softens the water and the increased amount of CYA used with saltwater also add to a better overall swimming experience. The non-salt guy will most likely tell you everything you have will rust and your deck will dissolve away to nothing, etc, etc, etc. We've heard it all here. All unsubstantiated myths.

Make sure not to go with any mineral systems (Frog, FusionSoft) as there is no need to ever add minerals to your pool, ever. No Ozone either or any of those blue smoke and mirrors products. Just a pump (variable speed is highly recommended and many utilities give good rebates for them), filter, SWCG, heater, and consider automation. Automation is worthwhile depending on a number of factors and systems start under $1000. Also make a stance now that you intend to do your own pool maintenance, then do your own pool maintenance. Vow to never enter a pool store or ever take your water to them for testing (unless you want a good laugh). Get a TF-100 test kit, test your own water, add your own chemicals, and enjoy a trouble-free pool experience! Successful pool ownership starts with an accurate test kit.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.