Where do I connect IntelliConnect to UltraTemp Heat Pump

capnbillyp

Jul 18, 2020
South Florida
I am installing an IntelliConnect system on my Pentair equipment (Intelliflo VS pump, Intellichlor, and UltraTemp heat pump). The temp, SWG. and pump connections were easy, but I am having trouble finding where to connect the UltraTemp. The instructions say NOT to connect to the RS-485 pins, but instead to connect to the Ext Switch or Firemans Switch. Where the heck is that? I do not see the jumper they mention. I've attached pics of the unit for reference, the high voltage panel below the display/control panel, the and the display/contol panel circuit board. and what's behind the display/control panel board. Any help will be wonderful!
IMG_2629.jpgIMG_2628.jpgIMG_2630.jpgIMG_2631.jpg

Waiting for spade connectors to connect the UltraTemp to the IntelliConnect, but the pump and SWG are working well!

I have both relays open but the IntelliConnect instructions say all you need is to connect the Ext Switch (the POOL/COM connectors you pointed me to) to the Heater connection in the IntelliConnect box. That apparently handles the heater's relays. We'll see.

Another question though: The IntelliConnect Link2o instructions show a Heater Custom RPM ("Determines the speed an IntelliFlo pump will run when a heater is activated") Does this mean that my UltraTemp will force my pump to run at the selected speed when it turns on? I run schedule with an 8-10AM (SPEED 1} and 4-5PM (SPEED 3) with a higher RPM so that my vacuum will do its wall-climbing thing, SPEED 2 runs 10AM to 4PM at a lower RPM. BUT, I want the pool to heat as required at any time of day. Is this possible or will I have to mess with my schedule so the wall cleaning only happens at the end of the day? I guess it's not a big deal to run the pump at the low speed from morning on, then do a higher RPM schedule, maybe from 4 to 6 to give me the wall-cleaning.

Last edited:
Billy,

Sorry, I did not realize that the IntelliConnect had a heater connection.. :rolleyes: Since it does, that should work perfectly.

Most heaters have a water pressure switch that needs to close before the heater will work. So when you turn on the heater, you will want your pump to run at a speed that will turn on the pressure switch, plus a little more. You will need to experiment with the pump speed that works for you, and set that as your "Heater Custom RPM".. This should mean that if the pump is running a slower RPM, that when the systems calls for heat, the pump should automatically increase in speed to close the heater's pressure switch.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks! Actually the heater control on the IntelliConnect Link2o app is not working properly. Doing some troubleshooting today (reversing the connection polarity, making sure the heater is set for Pool and not Spa, etc. The heater seems still be only controlled by the local control panel and not the app. Fun, fun, fun...

A-HA! On the UltraTemp menu I had to set REMOTE MODE to ON (It then displays Relay Mode on the screen.) So far that seems to have done the trick. To control a heater, the IntelliConnect requires a separate temperature sensor that I installed between the filter and the heater. The IntelliConnect monitors that incoming water temperature and turns the heater relay on or off accordingly. Because the UltraTemp temp controls are essentially bypassed, per the IntelliConnect instructions, I also made sure to set the UltraTemp panel to the highest target temp we would ever want to use since the heater won't go beyond that even if set in the app.

Thanks again for your help Jim!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.