When is good time to open on Eastern Long Island this year?

Here's another pro-tip: If you decide to go with the Puritech on Amazon, it's actually sold by Backyard Pool and Superstore. Buy it there - same price, free shipping, and...NO TAX.
Just ordered 25lbs for $78.15. $3.12/lb

Thanks for the point out.

After two days of filtration, pool is clear but not TFT clear. Still consuming 2 gallons of chlorine over last 24 hours to maintain level of 16. But bottom became visible and I got the leaves virtually all out (leaving the rest for my robot) and I have brushed the walls (lots of algae was growing there). Hopefully over next 48 hours I can call it a success. Will go through at least 18 gallons of chlorine to get there. Just changed DE for second time (first change after 12 hours or sion second change after 36 additional hours).

Before and after photos

IMG_0618.jpg

IMG_0635.jpg

Reactions: Newdude
So I just went back and checked and you closed on Nov 10th which was plenty late and plenty cold. And you're opening crazy early so that's clearly not the problem either.

Did you spike the FC when you closed ?

Were you around to know when it went green ?

Would you consider a cover to help keep the sun off the water ?

So I just went back and checked and you closed on Nov 10th which was plenty late and plenty cold. And you're opening crazy early so that's clearly not the problem either.

Did you spike the FC when you closed ?

Were you around to know when it went green ?

Would you consider a cover to help keep the sun off the water ?
(not sure what happened to my reply, but replying again)

I did spike FC when I closed, but only to 6 or so. This time of year, one day of sun burns that off.

Pool went green in mid-Feb or early March. The pool turning green and the warm winter is what provoked me to start this thread initially. I suspect the pool water got a bit warm and with the sun there was zero chlorine.

I think in the future I either need a cover (which I much prefer to avoid) or the be proactive when it warms up - at least to add chlorine early even if I dont open the pool. It has been pretty green in prior springs too - pool company used to open in May and would drain and acid wash (could be why my prior DiamondBrite lasted only 10 years).

FWIW, pool is now gorgeous clear and I have chlorinator going too. Spa is green as can be - I will start that up this weekend - will probably drain water and refill from pool.

Reactions: Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.