When and how to close?

Around a swimming pool, shopvacs are used for blowing air, or air suction, or occasionaly to get sand out of a sand filter. If you want to move water around you should use a water pump. So the 6 GPM figure really doesn't matter for swimming pool use, since that is the water rating not the air rating.

Jason, I may need to pump some water from below the skimmers to below the returns. I had another problem with my main drain that you had that you had given me some pointers on. I still haven't gotten my main drain to work. I bought a Drain King , took the cover off the main drain, and put the drain king in on that end. The water comes out through the pump. But I can't seem to get the pump to pull any water with only the main drain open. So I was thinking that I might buy a ShopVac with a blower to blow my lines out when closing and one with a water pump might just be an added bonus.

The water pump on a shop vac is normally only used to empty the tank into a sink. It can be handy for that. If you want to pump out the pool I recommend something with a higher flow rate.

If the main drain pipe isn't blocked the next possibility is that it has a leak which lets air in, or you haven't really managed to turn the skimmer off. If you want to work on the main drain more it might be best to start a new thread just for that.

Hi Buddywiser
That vac would be fine to blow the lines clean and other odd jobs and that is what i use my vac for. To drain under the cover or drain pool i think a vac will be to slow. I use a 1/3 hp sump pump to lower water under my cover. Maybe somebody else will comment on the use of a vac as a pump. :-D

hi Buddyiser
that shop vac would only be 360 gph. You have a large pool so it would probably take about 13 hours to drain 1 foot of water. way to slow and vac would be running to long and could get hot. You really should consider a sump pump to drain water if you cant use a waste feature on the pool pump like in the winter.

AHAH! Just got through skimming JasonLion's closing directions (Sticky). Use the pump and vacuum hose through the skimmer to drain below the return jets. Don't think I ever would have thought of that on my own :lol: That is the answer to my non-functioning MD (for now).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.