When and how to add chemicals

Above ground pools are known to have poor circulation. That can be a factor.

However, have you seen his pool? Is it as clear as yours? Do you know if he manages his own water chemistry? The only way you can sustain using pucks long term is to exchange out quite a bit of water fairly often. They can stay right on the edge of an algae bloom by nuking it with chlorine every week. But the pool will never be as clear as a TFP pool.

Reactions: OscarB
I used to add FC from 2.5 gal refillable jugs. Added marks on the outside of the jug in .5 gal increments. Just set the jug close to the edge and tip it to pour. If some drops dripped down I'd put the top on and dunk it in the water to clean it. I would think the same thing would work for 5 gal jugs.

I hope this helps.

Chris

Was that algae I killed?!?
It was dead algae.

CC numbers fluctuate up and down so are not an ABSOLUTE indicator for algae that you can trust.

Who knows how your neighbor keeps his pool? Can your pool be more algae prone than his? NO! (certainly there are extenuating circumstances in every pool.....they are all different, But you must manage your pool, not his, and don't begin to believe you have "super algae" or some other factor that prevents your pool from becoming crystal clear)

Keep your pool properly chlorinated and use good water management practices and your pool will be perfectly clear.

Last edited:
CSI is a calculation based on all of your chem numbers (but primarily CH, pH, and TA) including water temperature to figure out how your water behaves with regards to eating away plaster/grout (if too low) or depositing scale on equipment and pool surfaces (if too high). If you're vinyl you can probably ignore it, unless it starts getting too high - then it can deposit scale on your liner.

Reactions: OscarB
Well, my pool season has come to an end and thanks to tfp and all of your advice, it was crystal clear the entire summer. That’s the first time in 3 years it has happened. I’ve only had the pool 4 years and for what ever reason the first year went easy. This year was no floc, no shock, no sand filter cleaner, not even that dumb mineral cartridge! I’ve thanked you many times but wanted to say it one more time. I’ve recommended your site to everyone that has a pool and tells me what a horror story it is to take care of. I’ll be making a donation next month when my paychecks start coming in again (I’m a teacher). Thanks everyone!

I was closing my pool today and followed the directions on the site. All my chemicals are balanced but my ph is a little high. It’s registering an 8.0 but I’ve also had difficulty getting below 7.8 all summer. Ok to close the pool? It also may be registering high because I dumped the rest of my liquid chlorine in the pool to keep it a slam level like the directions recommend.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.