When and how to add chemicals

OscarB

Bronze Supporter
Aug 30, 2018
Mantua/nj
I just SLAMed my pool for the first time. Now that my chlorine is to the level I want to maintain it, I wanted to bring my PH and TA level down. I added some muratic acid and left the pump running. When is it safe for me to add chlorine again? Could I have done it right away? An hour later?

Also, my kids jumped in earlier tonight (before I added the acid). When I tested my water, I had a very slight indication that I had a CC level. Is that normal after having swimmers in the pool?

Thanks,

Oscar B

FC 6
CC 0?
PH 8.0
TA 130
CH 110
CYA 50

Separate the addition of acid and chlorine by at least 15 minutes with the pump running.

Swimmers can create a touch of CC. Will burn off rapidly.

Reactions: OscarB
One more question for you two - is there an easy way to pour bleach from a 5 gal jug? I’ve made some measurements on a 5 gallon bucket for when I need a lot and cup measurements for when I need a little but anytime I pour, especially when the 5 gal jug is full, I end up spilling some. What do you two do?

I have a SWCG, it makes my chlorine.
The few times I have added bleach, I use 1 gallon bottles.

One more question for you two - is there an easy way to pour bleach from a 5 gal jug? I’ve made some measurements on a 5 gallon bucket for when I need a lot and cup measurements for when I need a little but anytime I pour, especially when the 5 gal jug is full, I end up spilling some. What do you two do?
My bleach comes in refillable 1 gallon jugs.

I’m sorry to keep asking questions but I’m just very curious.

My first question has to do with people like you. You obviously are very experienced with pools. If you really know what you are doing and using the ideology of this site, approximately how often would you Slam your pool? In other words, you guys seem very experienced, do you go through whole seasons without needing to do the slam process?

My other question is about getting ready for swimmers. My pool has never looked this clear but then again, I haven’t had very much traffic in it yet. If I know that I will be getting a lot of swimmers what do you recommend? Do I raise my chlorine level in preparation or just deal with it afterward?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
+1 to what Richard320 said. We have done this and it works well. The first time it happened I was shocked to see the cloudy water after a pool party when all the kids got out. Found out here it's quite normal to have that happen especially with kids. :snorkle:

My pool is still crystal clear and the only outlier I seem to have is my TA. I have put in almost a gallon of acid in the pool over 4 or 5 days and although the PH has come down, the TA is barely moving. Is there something else I should be doing or is it this slow of a process?

==========================================
Oscar B’s Pool o’ Fun!
------------------------------------------
Build Type: Vinyl
Volume: 18500 gallons
Latest Test Result Summary:
FC: 7.5 (2 hours ago)
CC: 0.0 (2 hours ago)
pH: 7.2 (2 hours ago)
TA: 120 (2 hours ago)
CH: 110 (4 days ago)
CYA: 50 (4 days ago)
TEMPERATURE: 80° (4 days ago)
CSI: -0.50 (2 hours ago)

I am by no means one of the experts, in fact still a rookie however I'll add my 2 cents worth here.
The instructions on the Muriatic Acid jug suggest that you submerge the bottom of the jug leaving only the neck and mouth above the waterline. This worked very well for me using 1 gal jugs, I would think that since the water is supporting the weight you could still measure even when using 5 gal bucket.

I’m very new to all of this, a TA of 120 is nothing to worry about? Is there any possible detrimental effect to having it above 90?
pH will rise faster at higher TA. That's it. No more prone to algae, no skin irritation, nothing. Think it through.... where'd that high TA water come from? The tap. People drink that same water without ill effect. And if it's low, how do they raise TA? Baking Soda. People brush their teeth with it. It's harmless.

Hi guys,

My pool continues to be crystal clear. I am so thankful for your advice. I even get a kick out of telling people about this site when they complain about their pools being cloudy or green. I have a few questions that I hope you do not mind answering...

1) My cya level is now at a 50. That’s a long way from where it was last summer. When it drops too far, is it acceptable to use some tricolor pucks in my chlorinator again to bring the cya level back up?

2) pool math suggests my FC range be between 4 and 8. I seem to aim for a 7 and by the time I test 24 hours later it’s down to about a 5. Am I doing this right? Should I be putting in less? More?

3) I have my filter on a timer to run from 7 am to 7 pm. By the time I get home from work, test the water and add chlorine, it’s late and the filter is off. Is it ok to add when the filter is off and just mix it around with a pole or should the filter be running for a bit?

Here are my numbers in case you want them..

Thanks again!
Oscar B’s Pool o’ Fun!
Build Type: Vinyl
Volume: 18500 gallons
Latest Test Result Summary:
FC: 5.0 (an hour ago)
CC: 0.0 (an hour ago)
pH: 7.8 (3 days ago)
TA: 110 (3 days ago)
CH: 160 (3 days ago)
CYA: 50 (3 days ago)
TEMPERATURE: 80° (27 days ago)
CSI: 0.01 (an hour ago)

Your pump should be on for 30 minutes prior to testing and 30 minutes after adding chemicals. I suggest you change it to 9a-9p or something so it is running for at least 30 minutes after you add chemicals.

You can use trichlor tablets if CYA drops. Remember, if you plan a vacation this summer of more than a couple days, you will want to use trichlor while you are gone and thus plan for that CYA increase.

Your FC targets are great. Best to never get close to the minimum FC.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.