What's your average bleach cost?

May 9, 2015
Southern TN
This is my 4th season on this method and it has been a breeze. I have been putting the pencil to it though and I have already spent $100 in bleach in about 4 weeks. My uncle owns a Piggly Wiggly and I get cases of 4 for 10.00. It is Simply Done 8.25%. My CYA is 30 and I have a 24k gallon inground. What is your average weekly or season cost?

I have SWG, so I don’t have to purchase bleach very often.

Have you thought about bumping up your CYA a bit?

I buy 55 gallons of 12.5% at the beginning of each year... $150.
we use it around the house, and a neighbour has been "borrowing" some for his pool this year, so I may be refilling before the end of the season. :)

- - - Updated - - -

I also run my CYA at 50-60 so I don't have to use as much bleach each day.

The problem with the HD around me is the HDX Germicidal Bleach and the HDX Chlorinating liquid is usually very dated. Also, I know for a fact that stuff sits in the heat a lot.

I bought some today that was born in March. They keep it outside, but in a shaded area and they’ve had a lot of turnover, so I felt safe getting it. Added to pool and results were exactly what I expected, so it hadn’t lost potency.

I buy 55 gallons of 12.5% at the beginning of each year... $150.
we use it around the house, and a neighbour has been "borrowing" some for his pool this year, so I may be refilling before the end of the season. :)

- - - Updated - - -

I also run my CYA at 50-60 so I don't have to use as much bleach each day.

So if I raised my CYA from 30 to say 40-50 it would require a higher FC level but would hold that level Better?

I buy 55 gallons of 12.5% to 15% just before I open my pool. I typically use 1/2 gallon per day. I sometime have to add a little more in the heat of summer, maybe an extra 1/2 gallon every two weeks. Last year I purchased on 55 gallon drum and then used 1 gallon jugs to finish up the season. This year I plan to purchase a second 55 gallon drum mid season. I will likely have about 10 gallons left over but I come out a lot cheaper in the end. I pay $143.10 per drum / $2.60 per gallon. That comes up to $9.10 per week to treat my 28,000 gallon pool. How much bleach are you using per day/week?

I buy 55 gallons of 12.5% to 15% just before I open my pool. I typically use 1/2 gallon per day. I sometime have to add a little more in the heat of summer, maybe an extra 1/2 gallon every two weeks. Last year I purchased on 55 gallon drum and then used 1 gallon jugs to finish up the season. This year I plan to purchase a second 55 gallon drum mid season. I will likely have about 10 gallons left over but I come out a lot cheaper in the end. I pay $143.10 per drum / $2.60 per gallon. That comes up to $9.10 per week to treat my 28,000 gallon pool. How much bleach are you using per day/week?

I usually have to put 3/4 of a gallon daily. Sometime a gallon. Cya of 30 right now. I might need to raise my cya??

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I usually have to put 3/4 of a gallon daily. Sometime a gallon. Cya of 30 right now. I might need to raise my cya??

That is a little on the higher side but it depends on the amount of sun exposure your pool gets. I would but the CYA up to 40 and see how that works out.

Maybe I misread but you say you have spent $100 in 4 weeks. That's 40 gallons of chlorine if you get 4 gallons for $10. Now that is a LOT of chlorine if you are using that much? That is double what you would be using at 3/4 gallon per day.

That is a little on the higher side but it depends on the amount of sun exposure your pool gets. I would but the CYA up to 40 and see how that works out.

Maybe I misread but you say you have spent $100 in 4 weeks. That's 40 gallons of chlorine if you get 4 gallons for $10. Now that is a LOT of chlorine if you are using that much? That is double what you would be using at 3/4 gallon per day.

I pay $10 for 4 gallons. I have already bought 9 cases this year so 36 gallons. I haven't used 4 yet. So I had used 32 gallons so far.

I pay $ 9 for 6 gallons of 6% at the local cash n carry. (wholesale/restaurant supplier open to public)

I go through 1 gallon a week, dosing a 1/2 gallon every 3 days to add 3ppm.

CYA is 50. I first tried 30 but 50 definitely works better to maintain chlorine levels.

I also have the pool covered with a blue bubble blanket most of the day on weekdays except after work
near the time sun is no longer exposed to the pool.

On sat/sun I usually take the cover off at 10am and leave it off until 7-8pm.

I recently did some calculations on how much time I spend on my pool. I included in that how many trips to buy chlorine. Based on those numbers, I should spend $64/year on liquid chlorine (10%).

I just looked at my expense log for the year and I have spent $24 on chlorine so far, and what I have will last me through June. So, I am looking at coming in under my estimate for the year by 25%.

A local pool store fills my own 2.5 gallon jugs for $3.99/jug. $1.60/gallon. Can’t beat that price! (I don’t recall what I bought the jugs for, but that was two years ago. Something like $8 maybe.)

(Sry, but sometimes I like to play with numbers. I think it’s the collision reconstruction training resurfacing [emoji51])

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.