What's this? Curious..

Infodamoney

Bronze Supporter
Jun 23, 2017
Indian Trail, NC
I have recently taken over a SWG pool. I was cleaning weeds and heard a noise of running water. I noticed this, took the top off and found a valve with a float on the end. It also has a exit pipe at the bottom. I'm assuming it's to maintain water level? I am not sure but I'm also assuming there's a proper way it should work. I have adjusted the float to let some of the water out before it allows more water in. Just curious. Good to be back on TFP!!

Attachments

• 20230701_103029.jpg
    20230701_103029.jpg
    316.1 KB · Views: 12
I have recently taken over a SWG pool. I was cleaning weeds and heard a noise of running water. I noticed this, took the top off and found a valve with a float on the end. It also has a exit pipe at the bottom. I'm assuming it's to maintain water level? I am not sure but I'm also assuming there's a proper way it should work. I have adjusted the float to let some of the water out before it allows more water in. Just curious. Good to be back on TFP!!
Setting the float higher will raise the water level in the pool.

You’re gonna wanna scrub/ clean that out with some bleach - they are a known source for hidden algae.

I use a cork to plug the outlet opening and then a shop vac to suck out all the water (with the water supply to the auto fill valve shutoff). Then I wipe out and clean the interior surface.

@Infodamoney - when cleaning or adjusting, be careful to not damage the float arm as it is plastic and can break. Also, make small incremental adjustments to the water height. That float valve is exactly like mine and it’s considered “old school” by modern pool build standards BUT I’m of the opinion that it is the best kind of fill valve out there. Many builders use the toilet bowl Korky style float valves and we get many posts of those valves constantly failing due to rubber seal degradation. The bulb style ones like yours and mine are stupid-simple in their design but they last forever if properly cared for. I’m on 10+ years with mine and it has never had a problem.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.