What’s the best way to lower alkalinity without lowering pH?

Bradley,

I agree with JD...

Why do you want to lower your TA??? We never recommend lowering TA just to get to some "magic" number. If your pH is stable, just leave your TA alone.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Your pH and TA are in range. Monitor them. When pH reaches 8, add acid. That will lower TA. If you are not adding any TA containing products or fill water, the TA will not rise.

I'm also trying to lower my TA in order to get my pH more stable. However, I'm in my first year so my pH is expected to rise more than a more established pool. Recently I've been adding about 18 ounces/day to get/keep my pH down, but (oddly) my TA remains at 110 or so! I don't understand why. I guess I need to do more reading and less worrying about my TA. Hope this isn't hijacking the thread - I thought it was relevant to the discussion and not worthy of starting a new thread.

Reactions: bradleyofkansas

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes it will. I actually find my pH lowers when I have a solar cover on due to the build up of CO2 gas in the water. You need to remove the cover every few day for several hours with sun on the pool.

Reactions: bradleyofkansas
Bradleyofkansas and mknauss,

I was going to start a thread to ask why my pH is drifting downward from 7.6 to 7.2, while my TA is stable at 110, where it's always been.

Due to the grandkids going back in school, cool nights down to 45-50 degrees, and somewhat rainy weather, our pool has remained unused and covered (to conserve heat) for the past 10 days. Time to get that cover off and aerate, I guess.

Only at TFP does your question get answered while you're only thinking about asking it, LOL!!!

Thanks, guys.

Reactions: mknauss
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.