What's most relaible Heater brand/model (400K BTU Propane)?

I'm not going to get into he said she said but I can tell you that while their manuals say one one thing, the units operate just fine. I have installed units on 20'-30' of 3/4 and never had an issue.

In my opinion, it's pretty simple. The local codes and manufacturer's instructions dictate how the installation is to be done.

The only way to go off script is to have a professional engineer design a custom solution and have it approved by the Authority Having Jurisdiction and the manufacturer.

Using under sized pipe won't pass inspection. It can damage the heater. If the heater fails due to undersized pipe, there's no warranty.

Even if the heater seems to run ok with undersized pipe, it's probably not heating at its full capacity. A 400,000 btu/hr heater might only operate at 300,000 btu/hr.

It's simple physics, gas will only move through the pipe at a specific flow rate based on the pressure, pipe size and length of pipe.

If you get in an an elevator and see a sign that says Rated Capacity 2,000 lbs, will the cables snap at 2,001 lbs?

No, because engineers incorporate a safety factor into their design. The problem is when you exceed the rated capacity, you diminish the safety factor.

You also shift the liability from the manufacturer, installer and maintainer to yourself.

For example, if you decide to load the elevator at 3,000 lbs and it fails and damages the elevator and kills someone, you're liable for the damages civilly and probably criminally because you intentionally overloaded the elevator instead of taking two trips.

What's the point of using undersized pipe? To save a few dollars?

The engineers that designed the heater designed the installation requirements. If you trust their heater design, trust their installation design

When working with gas, electricity etc., don't take chances, have it professionally done and do it right.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.