What’s driving my pH to rise so quickly?

So if the carbonate alkalinity was brought way down, and the pH remained stable due to Borates acting as a buffer ..... would this not allow you to change the equilibrium point, and in turn lower the resting pH?
Technically, yes. Another member has attempted something similar. It was recent so a search may find it. But if you are adding significant amounts of high TA fill water due to evaporation, it will be difficult to maintain.

You might PM the member and get more information.

Reactions: Stoopalini
On a side note you mentioned the Intelliflo VSF having bubbles,.. mine will do it at lower RPMs but maybe half the "sections" of the top cap and stops. My research here and others I know that have this pump state it is normal for this pump though not sure what the breakpoint is RPM wise for that to happen or how it is caused, my guess is the sudden drop in pressure from high to low maybe ?

On a side note you mentioned the Intelliflo VSF having bubbles,.. mine will do it at lower RPMs but maybe half the "sections" of the top cap and stops. My research here and others I know that have this pump state it is normal for this pump though not sure what the breakpoint is RPM wise for that to happen or how it is caused, my guess is the sudden drop in pressure from high to low maybe ?

Thanks for the input. Here is a video I made back on Oct, when I initially contacted the pool builder about it. The issue has actually gotten worse since, and there's more air in the basket now than was back then. Also, running the pump on max doesn't seem to flush all the air out anymore, at least not as quickly as it did back in Oct when I made this video.

As an update to this, I added granular boric acid to the water, and it's been great! Why didn't I do this sooner??

The last time I added muriatic acid was on Aug 14th, when the pH was 7.9 with a TA of 60. I added 36oz of MA to drop the TA to 50, which brought the pH down to 7.1.

On Aug 17th, I added 34lbs of Boric Acid. Buy this time, the pH had already risen to 7.7.
I retested the water on Aug 18th, and the pH actually dropped a bit; down to 7.5. TA was up to 60.

Here we are, 9 days later on Aug 23rd, and my pH is at 7.79 with a TA of 60. This is keeping my CSI in a nice place as well ... -0.31 currently.

So with the Borates in the water, I understand it helps keep the CSI down a bit. Does this mean I can let the pH settle higher?
Is a pH of 8.1 fine considering the CSI would be -0.25 with 88*F water?

Other than the pH control, the water looks and feels really great as well! I swear the water is more clear, but it could just be the surface tension change making me perceive it to be. It definitely feels different. My wife said it feels more "silky" :)

It is best to keep the pH in the 7's. Elevated pH can cause eye irritation for some people.
Other than eye irritation, are there other impacts to consider if I maintained 8.1 pH? If the CSI is still slightly negative, then I shouldn't get scaling, and it's my undertstanding a high pH won't hurt my titanium heat exchanger.

I'm actually the only one who opens my eyes underwater. The rest of the family uses goggles, no matter how many times I say they don't need to ... ha!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.