What’s an appropriate upcharge for Pebble Sheen Ocean Blue ?

Riddler0520

Jul 26, 2020
Charlotte, NC
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
Live in Charlotte, NC
~700 sq ft pool under construction
lagoon style...36 ft long x 27 ft at its widest + 9 ft spa
included in contract is standard Pebble Tek tier 1

Want to upgrade to Sheen Ocean Blue
PB is to telling me that it is a Tier3 color in Sheen and approx a $7k increase

does this sound right, have no idea what’s this upgrade should cost

• Wow
Reactions: michelle90713
Each pool builder can charge what they want. It really depends on the area. In Huston, TX the prices are different "inside the circle" than "outside the circle". I would think about calling a couple of other PB in your area and see what they say.

Reactions: Riddler0520
When we were taking bids, we were getting sq/ft numbers between 450 - 480, and the cost for pebble upgrade was around a $5k increase.

The builder we went with didn't itemize the pebble cost on the final contract, and I neglected to write it down when we were negotiating ... so not sure exactly what we're paying for just the pebble upgrade ... but it was in line with the above.

To clarify:
Pebble Tek tier 1 was already in my initial contract price

the $7k increase is just to move to Sheen and a darker color - Ocean Blue

So $7k additional cost to upgrade from a level 1 PebbleTek finish to a Level 2 PebbleSheen finish? That does seem a bit high to me. Looks more like the total cost of a Level 2 PebbleSheen finish, rather than the difference between the two choices.

So $7k additional cost to upgrade from a level 1 PebbleTek finish to a Level 2 PebbleSheen finish? That does seem a bit high to me. Looks more like the total cost of a Level 2 PebbleSheen finish, rather than the difference between the two choices.
Yes, that’s correct
$7,000 to upgrade but they have Ocean Blue as a Sheen level tier 3 as pebble tek T1 was already priced into my contract

it seemed high to me as well as we are upgrading the Sheen and Color, I realize

Yes, that’s correct
$7,000 to upgrade but they have Ocean Blue as a Sheen level tier 3 as pebble tek T1 was already priced into my contract

it seemed high to me as well as we are upgrading the Sheen and Color, I realize

Ahhh, I didn't realize it was a Tier 3 color. Sorry, I can't help there, as I didn't even ask for pricing on Tier 3 colors when we were planning our build. I've no idea how much extra a Tier 3 color might be over a Tier 1.

My experience was just standard plaster base, and upgrading to PebbleSheen Tier 1

We were down to two builders when we decided we wanted Pebblesheen Blue Granite. One said the color was included, the other was going to charge us $4000. Guess who got the contract?
Don't hesitate to push back on this, and let them know that you will shop around based on your new requirements.
When we got down to two (highly rated) PBs, I asked each of them to "sharpen their pencils" and one came down a few thousand dollars to get our work.

Best of luck!

We were quoted a $1,200 difference between Pebble Sheen Blue Granite and Ocean Blue. $7k is outrageous. Call the installer and tell them you’re doing an owner-builder pool and they’ll give you pricing for each. Gives you some ammo to go back to PB with and negotiate a reasonable price.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.