what's a really good pool thermometer?

I was referred to this thread from mine, where I asked the same question. I posted after having the exact same experience... I guess they're all junk... :(

I've had two of these (got another after smashing the first one flinging it end to end in the pool and missing slightly long) and have been very happy with it. Seems very accurate, or at least consistent. The wireless feature is very convenient. They're a little hard to find right now though.
inkbird.shop

Inkbird IBS-P01R Wireless Indoor & Outdoor Floating Pool Thermometer for Bath Water, Spas, Aquariums
Wireless Connection: The maximum connection distance is 300 feet. You can check temperature readings with the receiver without going outside the room.Accurate Reading: Support both Fahrenheit and Celsius readings.Premium quality: The thermometer has adopted high quality materials, it is solid...
inkbird.shop
inkbird.shop

I've had two of these (got another after smashing the first one flinging it end to end in the pool and missing slightly long) and have been very happy with it. Seems very accurate, or at least consistent. The wireless feature is very convenient. They're a little hard to find right now though.

Inkbird IBS-P01R Wireless Indoor & Outdoor Floating Pool Thermometer for Bath Water, Spas, Aquariums
Wireless Connection: The maximum connection distance is 300 feet. You can check temperature readings with the receiver without going outside the room.Accurate Reading: Support both Fahrenheit and Celsius readings.Premium quality: The thermometer has adopted high quality materials, it is solid...
inkbird.shop
inkbird.shop

I'll post to this thread too. :cool:

These are extremely difficult to find. I found one on eBay that is being shipped from Hong Kong. It'll take a few weeks to get here.

Here's where I ordered it from. I order the Bluetooth version. I really wanted the Wireless version with the display. They only have the Normal version left.

I'm having the same problem. We've had the pool less than a year and been through four thermometers. It's ridiculous.

The idea of one built into the skimmer seems great, do you think the temperature reading is more accurate with the water shielded from the sun?

That wireless one looks nice, I'm hoping they come back in stock.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have a similar wireless option. The Ambient Weather WS-8482-3107. Just got it this season and being able to check the temp on the monitor from inside or from their app has been great. It consistently reads about 2 degrees lower than the heater, though that may just be placement

Thanks for all the ideas!
I'm having the same problem. We've had the pool less than a year and been through four thermometers. It's ridiculous.

The idea of one built into the skimmer seems great, do you think the temperature reading is more accurate with the water shielded from the sun?

I was thinking the same thing. Surely there would be some temp differential, especially when the pump is off. I was also concerned about the kids stepping on the dial. Pretty sure they broke the last thermometer I had. If it can be broken, kids'll find a way to do it!

I like this one. I keep it in the pool shed and shoot the pool whenever I want. So long as the pump is running its very accurate and consistent. My automation thermometer is affected by the sun much of the day. Probably 2+ degrees affected. And I don’t know what the correction factor is throughout the day, so I only publish (Pool Math) readings from my IR thermometer.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B013X0NQT0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here is what I have done, had it a few years now, very happy.

Introducing My New Thermometer Gadget
This is very interesting. I have a small well separate from the skimmer that houses my auto-filler and overflow. It has a lid and more importantly an equalizer tube that connects to the pool about 2' under the water. If I could mount the thing under the lid, out of the water, and run the sensor through the tube, that could be ideal...

On the other front, I figured out what was wrong with the typical thermometers you can buy everywhere:

026497002853.jpg

The reading is accurate enough, but the thing floats on it's side and then ends up in the skimmer. Even after drilling more air holes in the top, for better venting, it would still lay on its side. So I took one apart and found a baffle about halfway up that was trapping air. Very stupid design. A few more drill holes a couple inches below the cap (just below the baffle) and now it rights itself no matter how I toss it back in.

I like gizmos, too, but now that I've solved for my "analog" thermometer's shortcomings, I may leave well enough alone...

Reactions: jdisauwg
I would think that you could simply drill a few holes in the skimmer lid, and zip tie the thing in place. I attach mien to the ladder, as the ladder is not used much, it really is not noticed by people (this picture was taken to specifically emphasize it), and it was easy.

I have also thought of replacing the sensor. They make RTD sensor that have a threaded part to them. I could plumb my pool pad differently and add a reducing T to give me the needed threads, and basically have the sensor online near the pump. This would be great for me, as I run my pump 24x7 at low speed, so always accurate.

I also have another probe in the shade measuring air temperature. I had plans to put up a small LCD screen outside via raspberry pi always showing the temp of air and pool, but I have been lazy. Need to get back to that.

This is very interesting. I have a small well separate from the skimmer that houses my auto-filler and overflow. It has a lid and more importantly an equalizer tube that connects to the pool about 2' under the water. If I could mount the thing under the lid, out of the water, and run the sensor through the tube, that could be ideal...

On the other front, I figured out what was wrong with the typical thermometers you can buy everywhere:

View attachment 153216

The reading is accurate enough, but the thing floats on it's side and then ends up in the skimmer. Even after drilling more air holes in the top, for better venting, it would still lay on its side. So I took one apart and found a baffle about halfway up that was trapping air. Very stupid design. A few more drill holes a couple inches below the cap (just below the baffle) and now it rights itself no matter how I toss it back in.

I like gizmos, too, but now that I've solved for my "analog" thermometer's shortcomings, I may leave well enough alone...

That one looks just like the thermometer I bought at Home Depot. Mine is junk. It broke after a day. Was reading accurately the first day but then the next day it was reading 78F while my heat pump was reading 89F.

inkbird.shop

inkbird.shop
inkbird.shop
Old thread, I know, don't be mad. This was my pool thermometer...it broke. I need something but I have an autocover so I need something that works with that. I was thinking a hangy thing from where the divider between shallow end and deep end might work. I need to go out and really look at the pool.

When I'm not brewing beer with it, I have used my iSpindel hydrometer/thermometer to monitor pool temp.. I put it in the skimmer to keep it out of the sun. It amuses guests when they see that my pool is at both a nice temperature and also apparently ~6% ABV

Reactions: Kellyw and Snoobug

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.