The Woodlands, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
Got a Whatagate for my pool and installed it today. (It's a device that attaches over an overflow drain grate to block the flow of water.)

Here's the Whatagate next to my existing overflow drain cover:

IMG_20210108_164636.jpg

IMG_20210108_164649.jpg

The device simply clicks into place on the drain cover. Here's pics of my overflow drain before and after installation:

IMG_20210108_173118.jpg

IMG_20210108_173717.jpg

It seems like a snug, watertight fit. We'll see how well it blocks water after the next heavy rain. I'm happy to get control of my overflow and stop wasting expensive water and chemicals down the drain.

An overflow is designed to save your very very expensive pool and water is cheap compared to replacing the pool coping and tile from water damage... Why would you want the water to go above your tile and coping?

An overflow is designed to save your very very expensive pool and water is cheap compared to replacing the pool coping and tile from water damage... Why would you want the water to go above your tile and coping?
The device is meant to slide up/down on the existing overflow grate. While you can close off the grate completely - as in the OP pics - you should leave at least a slight opening at the top to help prevent the pool overflowing and/or causing coping/tile damage. In essence, it gives you an adjustable grate height.

Reactions: HermanTX

Obviously that's not the intent. It enables the option of more water in the pool temporarily in the interests of saving money, water, and chemicals. It also prevents splashout through the overflow during routine swimming. If I was going to be away from the house on vacation, I would certainly remove it.

The device is meant to slide up/down on the existing overflow grate. While you can close off the grate completely - as in the OP pics - you should leave at least a slight opening at the top to help prevent the pool overflowing and/or causing coping/tile damage. In essence, it gives you an adjustable grate height.

I forgot to mention that feature, thanks for bringing it up.

Obviously that's not the intent. It enables the option of more water in the pool temporarily in the interests of saving money, water, and chemicals. It also prevents splashout through the overflow during routine swimming. If I was going to be away from the house on vacation, I would certainly remove it.

No need to remove it - just slide it down a bit to expose the overflow grate.

Reactions: pjt
Interesting product (and made, here, in Texas!). @pjt Let us know how you like it. It'd be great to save
some water in our broiling summers. Here's a pic from the WhataGate site showing the product down
further on the existing grate to provide some overflow.
371C4A07-FECB-47C4-8320-1FE7AA6BC16F.jpeg

Reactions: pjt

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I ordered the gadget a few weeks ago. did anyone encountered issue with delivery???
Yes, it takes a long time to ship and deliver. Zero response from the seller. I'm guessing someone makes these at home as a side business. That being said, it did eventually arrive after a couple weeks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.