What would you do to fix these issues?

So here are the next steps in your plan:
  • Add 3 pounds of dry stabilizer using the sock method.
  • Keep your pump running 24/7 while the stabilizer is dissolving
  • Once the stabilizer is dissolved from the sock give it another 24 hours to circulate
  • Then do a Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to see if you pass or if you need to do the SLAM Process
  • We want to get your pool algae free before you raise your CYA to 60-70 and turn on your ichlor SWG.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mdragger88
3lbs CYA is being hung in front of a return jet on the end of a garden rake held down by weights.

I have to leave the cover open to have the rake there - is all the FC that I added just going to evaporate tomorrow morning from the sun? Is there an alternative that would allow me to close the cover? Could I put the sock in the skimmer?

People have put a sock in the skimmer and then the sock broke and the solid stabilizer clogged the skimmer line.

Let the pool breath for a day and add some additional liquid chlorine.

Could I put the sock in the skimmer?
YES!! Folks here are evenly split in their method between hanging in front of return and putting it in the skimmer. I like the skimmer and give easy access to squeeze it.

is all the FC that I added just going to evaporate tomorrow morning from the sun?
Yes (doesn't evaporate, but will be consumed by the sunlight), half life of chlorine in the sun with no CYA is about an hour. Getting the CYA in the water will help.

Thank you both for the replies - I’ll leave the cover open with the sock for now and maybe try out both methods after I pass the OCLT.

For now the pump is running so the sock is being hit with a nice strong return jet.

Reactions: HermanTX
It sounds like you want to keep the cover closed so the sun doesn't burn off the chlorine, but, if you are thinking you are heading towards a SLAM, the 2-4 ppm of chlorine loss while the cover open due to the sun is very small in comparison to what the algae will be doing under the cover.

Let the pool breath for a day and add some additional liquid chlorine
Yes! With your last test of just under 4ppm chlorine, you are in the danger zone anyway for organic growth. With little to no CYA, that chlorine will be gone anyway, best to let the cover stay open to add the CYA, and get more chlorine in there.

3lbs of CYA is fully dissolved in the sock.

I’ll leave it in front of the jet for another hour or so (softly squeezed it to get all of the dissolved acid cloud out).

I’ll test the water in a few hours to get an intermittent CYA reading. Pump is still on disbursing the acid throughout the pool.

Reactions: HermanTX
just tested the water again:
FC: 2.0 ppm
CC: 0.5 ppm (turned clear with a single drop)
pH: 7.62
CYA: 40 ppm
TA: 160 ppm

cover is closed, pump/filter is running.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
CYA can take a few days to report in the water, so give it another 2-3 days and then test again.

Meanwhile push the FC up to 5. Add again before bed (after dark) and test after mixing for 30 minutes to get a baseline. Let the pump run overnight and test again in the morning before the sun is up. See what the drop is. This is the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test and will tell you if you have any algae or anything consuming the FC you should deal with before pushing your CYA up to operating levels for the SWCG.

Be sure the SWCG is off for the overnight test.

Last edited:
FC: 6.5ppm (13 drops to turn clear)
pH: 7.63
Great.

Turn on your SWG. What % do you run it at?

If you keep your pool cover closed most of the time then I don’t think you need to raise your CYA.

Awesome.

Our pool cover is closed and locked unless we’re in the pool (little kids) so keeping CYA at 40mm would be perfect (within guidelines of the iChlor 30 as well (30-50 ppm).

The SWG is currently at 0% for the tests, pump normally runs during the day for 5.5 hours.

According to pool math if I run the iChlor 30 at 50% for 5.5 hours it’ll raise FC by 1.00 ppm a day, does that sound like a good starting point to account for 0.5ppm overnight loss (assuming another 0.5 during the day with the UV cover closed)?

According to pool math if I run the iChlor 30 at 50% for 5.5 hours it’ll raise FC by 1.00 ppm a day, does that sound like a good starting point to account for 0.5ppm overnight loss (assuming another 0.5 during the day with the UV cover closed)?

Yup, test your FC every day or two and adjust the % as needed to keep FC around 4-5 ppm.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.