What would happen if you backwash pipe is clogged...

GOONiE

May 28, 2018
Chicago burbs
Theoretically. What would happen if you backwashed your sand filter but the backwash pipe was clogged. Where would the discharge go? Back into the pool? Or would the pressure build up in the filter?

My backwash waste pipe goes into the ground and I have no idea where it eventually ends up. My pool guy doesn’t even know as my property is large.

Any ideas how to locate where it discharges too?

It's gotta come out somewhere...maybe way over by the tree line? Mine goes into the ground and I couldn't find the end for a while. Started a backwash and just started walking/looking. The end of the pipe was hidden by grass but I could see the water coming out. Heard it before I saw it.

Someone else had this very same problem recently. Our advice was to abandon the old pipe and either run a new one or use a discharge hose.

I would wonder if you had a sewage clean out that it might be connected to, or perhaps a wet spot in the yard that has been covered over?

Maddie :flower:

If it's completely blocked, the water won't go anywhere. The flow would just stop and the pressure will be as much as the pump can generate.

Does the flow stop on waste or backwash or rinse?

Put a garden hose in the pipe and turn it on to see if the water flows or backs up.

If it were me I'd cut the backwash pipe and put a drain over it, then run a backwash hose to the drain. Then the water would still drain far away from the pool but in case of a clog it wouldn't be a big deal.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.