What wire gauge size for 1.85HP Hayward pump

Drb1

Jul 11, 2020
Buffalo New York
I have a Hayward SP3210X15XE 1.85HP pump and need to know what gauge wire I should use. I am making a whip for it running @ 230. I think I read that 230 can have smaller wire size than 115.
So is 14/2 good for 230v? Also just in case I ran as 115v should I then use 12/2?

Thanks for any and all help.

Daren

Depends on the amperage of your GFCI CB you are using.

12 gauge wire for a 20 Amp CB

14 gauge wire for a 15 amp CB

Wire can be larger (lower gauge number) for a CB and never smaller.

I would always recommend using 12 gauge so you can change a breaker from 15 to 20 amps if necessary.

With the 20 amp breakers minimum wire size is 12 gauge.

50 amp breaker wire size is 6 gauge copper.

Please check the mfg spec & installation sheets for your pump. They should have a chart. Length of the run has to be accounted for along with voltage and amperage. Excessive voltage drop will cause problems you do not need.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I assume that all three of the CB's need to be GFCI? I guess the money I saved on doing the pump myself will now have to spent on GFCI.

Heat pump does not require a GFCI CB. Gas heaters do.

Check the Heat Pump installation Manual.

We are glad you have found our information helpful. Please, if you can, consider making a donation to TFP. We are staffed by volunteers and are registered as an IRS 501 (c) (3) charity and donations are what keeps the forum operating without advertisements.

Support TFP!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.