atxjmy512

Mar 19, 2022
Austin, Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I need to add some calcium to get up to my ideal TFPC level. I have some Leslies hardness plus leftover from start up earlier this year. But I can’t figure out why type of calcium it is. Pool Math is giving me two options but not sure which one this is.

Your CH is fine at 310. Over the summer as you keep topping it up it will keep rising. Unless your autofill is plumbed to soft water and even then I’d leave the CH alone. Turn on CSI tracking in Poolmath, that will give you a good water chemistry overall balance.

Your CH is fine at 310. Over the summer as you keep topping it up it will keep rising. Unless your autofill is plumbed to soft water and even then I’d leave the CH alone. Turn on CSI tracking in Poolmath, that will give you a good water chemistry overall balance.
Thx! My Autofill is plumbed to soft water, so I currently have it turned off. When I need to top off, I bypass the softener. I was tearing through salt.

I should also say that before I saw your response - I did add ~ 6 lbs of hardness plus. That’s a little less than half of what Pool Math was telling me and based in my volume should take me to 350 - 360 CH. I think that should be ok as ideal range in PM goes up to 550?

I won’t add anymore, but so I’m clear my top offs will naturally / slowly increase CH because 1) calcium doesn’t evaporate and 2) tap water - especially in hard water central Texas - contains calcium?

What is the CH of your tap water?
It is probably pretty high if you need a water softener.

Many of us have plumbed our water softener to the autofill to help control CH. Sure, it regenerates more often, but using softened water keeps the CH of the pool at a relative constant.

My tap water CH is around 250. My entire pool volume evaporates as least once per year, so my CH would increase at least 250 every year. Using a bit more salt is worth it to me to not have to fully drain my pool every 2-3 years do to high CH. For my 12,000 gallon pool, thats about 2 bags of salt per year for the softener to produce the needed soft water for the autofill water. Maintainig a relatively constant CH also makes it easier to manage my CSI.

What is the CH of your tap water?
It is probably pretty high if you need a water softener.

Many of us have plumbed our water softener to the autofill to help control CH. Sure, it regenerates more often, but using softened water keeps the CH of the pool at a relative constant.

My tap water CH is around 250. My entire pool volume evaporates as least once per year, so my CH would increase at least 250 every year. Using a bit more salt is worth it to me to not have to fully drain my pool every 2-3 years do to high CH. For my 12,000 gallon pool, thats about 2 bags of salt per year for the softener to produce the needed soft water for the autofill water. Maintainig a relatively constant CH also makes it easier to manage my CSI.
Per water district - hardness ranges from 177 - 223 ppm, with avg being 188.

Last edited:
It would be best to test it with your own test kit. Check CH and TA.
What test kit are you using? Please add it to your signature.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.