What to do with this pool ... ???

Rob Bullaro

Sep 30, 2020
Buffalo, New York
Hi all !!! I've been sitting with a green pool for over a year now trying to evaluate my options for repair of our 35 year old liner inground pool. We discovered at the end of last season that we had a leak in the pool and didn't know until I had it closed that it is probably on the pressure side, a return line by the diving board on the deep end. We have not had the line pressure tested as of yet and are still trying to decide how to proceed with the following issues. We have steel coping around the pool which is rusting out on us. To replace it, contractors will need to remove possibly all the concrete around the pool, cut out the old and reinstall all new with new concrete and liner bead, new liner etc.
They want about $28 k to just take out and repour the old concrete and install new coping. A new liner and repair on the pressure lines plus additional work as needed could add another $5 k or more. To fill in the pool after the concrete is removed and taken to a dump as per code, would probably cost $10 - $15 k. Contractors are booked for more than a year in our area, even just to give estimates. Going into winter, our old cover had frayed and it was almost impossible trying to get the leaves and debris out when we tried to open the pool for the summer and most of the debris landed in the pool bottom. This condition could last a long time until we can zero in on an option to exercise at this time and find a suitable contractor to do the work. One option we are looking at is to leave the old concrete in place and to resurface 1600 SF of the deck and adjacent side walk, along with a screened in patio with 3" pavers to avoid the mess and cost of the concrete removal. Question for now is do we need to spend money to purchase a new winter cover now if we decide later to just fill in the pool, and do we need to add new winterizing chemicals again for the coming winter season. Thank you in advance for any help or thoughts that you gin give on this matter.

Attachments

• 20140601_185315.jpg
    20140601_185315.jpg
    457.7 KB · Views: 31
  • 20140601_193802.jpg
    20140601_193802.jpg
    574.5 KB · Views: 30
  • 20140601_193944.jpg
    20140601_193944.jpg
    494.5 KB · Views: 30
  • 20140601_193739.jpg
    20140601_193739.jpg
    578.9 KB · Views: 29
It depends if you want a pool or not.

Have a look at this thread and see how she built PVC piping along the ground until she got her underground pipes fixed. You can get your pool operational by running a 2" return pipe along the ground to the pool and putting one or two outlets into the pool.

Question for now is do we need to spend money to purchase a new winter cover now if we decide later to just fill in the pool,

You can leave the pool uncovered and see how it survives your winter. You will get more leaves and other debris in the pool which will only make an eventual cleanout more work if you decide to bring the pool back to life.

and do we need to add new winterizing chemicals again for the coming winter season.

The water has stayed in that condition and I don't see what winterizing chemicals would do for it.

Are the pipes blown out and plugged and winterized?

Are the skimmers winterized?

Pools can be so ridiculously expensive to repair, and if/when our pool structure fails (12k gal in-ground gunite), we'll likely fill it in and plant some fruit trees where the deep end was.

When we bought our house we considered the pool a negative... although we've come to enjoy dips on super hot days/nights. Our yard is small and I've always felt like the pool is 4x bigger than I need... if it had been up to me I would have installed a much smaller swim spa to begin with.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.