What to do with the water feature

Sep 11, 2018
Fort Worth Texas
Long time lurker. I have learned a lot from this forum, and have read the pool closing section multiple times but still need some help. I have a 15K gal, gunnite pool with a Hayward variable speed pump, Polaris vac, I also have a water feature. Here is the question. I am not going to winterize the pool since I am in north Texas, just drain below the skimmer, put in a chlorine basket, and a dummy line for the salt cell. I was going to run the pump several hours each day and I have a 45 degree temp sensor to urn the pump on. What do I do about the water feature, it runs off the one and only pump?? It is controlled by a valve that I manually open to turn the waterfall on. Any guidance is much appreciated.

Why drain below the skimmer? Temps in Ft. Worth rarely get below freezing for any extended amount of time. I live just north of you a couple hundred miles and just run the pump as needed during the winter. Same thing goes for the water feature really we dont see temps low enough to really worry about it. Just run it when temps are low.

I live in the DFW area, and also don't close my pool... The only thing I do is turn off the SWCG when it gets too cold to generate chlorine and then I use 12.5 Liquid Chlorine.. Does not take much in the winter..

Is this your first winter here or do you always close your pool?

Thanks,

Jim R.

There might be a few days where you might run your pump 24/7, if it gets really cold for any length of time. Just needs to be moving, does not need to be very fast.. something like 1000 or 1200 RPM..

And if it gets really cold you can throw a tarp over the equipment pad and stick a "real" light bulb under the tarp.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.