What to do when Polaris 280 replaced by robot

Aug 16, 2012
Hi-
I just bought a robot to replace my Polaris 280. I have an Inground pool. I’m wondering if I can put the winter cap in the Polaris connector(the one under the water line) since I’m not using it any more? I’m concerned I might harm the system that is running (pump filter etc) if I do that with the booster pump and plumbing still in place. It feels weird to me to have a “hole” in the pool that i’m no longer using.
Thanks

What pump are you using? List your pool type and equipment in your signature. Since you are no longer utilizing your pump to run your cleaner you can save energy and $ by running your pump less and/or at slower rpm if it is a variable or two speed pump. Capping the old cleaning port is one option or install a return port there.

I kept my pump in place. I like to switch it on when I'm putting chemicals into the pool and pour it into that stream. I should remove the restrictor plate, but have been too lazy.

The best logic I have read is to plumb the return line into your other lines.. that way it becomes a return. That way did doesn't become of source of hidden algae since there is flow going through the line. Then, you can take the pump out and put it on CraigsList.. someone will want it. Another suggestion I've seen is to turn the port into a water feature.. like a fountain.

The best logic I have read is to plumb the return line into your other lines.. that way it becomes a return. That way did doesn't become of source of hidden algae since there is flow going through the line. Then, you can take the pump out and put it on CraigsList.. someone will want it. Another suggestion I've seen is to turn the port into a water feature.. like a fountain.
On my pool, there is always water going down that line, even at low speed.

On my pool, there is always water going down that line, even at low speed.
Water is also flowing through that line on my pool. I still have the pump in place and still have my Polaris 380 in storage. I can pull it out if my robot dies as a temporary solution until a new robot arrives. I've just been too lazy to replumb the piping to remove the pump.

What pump are you using? List your pool type and equipment in your signature. Since you are no longer utilizing your pump to run your cleaner you can save energy and $ by running your pump less and/or at slower rpm if it is a variable or two speed pump. Capping the old cleaning port is one option or install a return port there.
The Booster Pump is a polaris PB4-60 3/4HP 115/230V. The booster pump is only used for the polaris. So if i understand correctly i never have a reason to run it again. It sounds like i'm ok to cap the port under the waterline where i used to connect the polaris just to give me comfort of no water getting out of the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.