What to do when away, unable to test?

miles267

Gold Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Sep 5, 2016
Arkansas
For those who travel or have been away on summer vacation, what, if anything, do you do to maintain their pool for multiple days...2-3 days, 3-5 days? Can now see how a lot can happen within days. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Miles,

You have a SWCG, so you should not have any issues with short absences..

This past summer my wife and I went on vacation for 21 days. All three of my SWCG pools were still crystal clear when we got back. I did have someone add water when required.

Thanks,

Jim R

After a bit most folks have a pretty good idea of how their pool acts over a week and what it needs, i.e. acid, chlorine, etc. I lower pH to 7.2 or so and raise to shock level for anything over a 3-4 days. Less than that, I would recommend a couple of pucks. And run the pool as normal in any circumstance.

The other concern is debris...if you have an environment with a lot of leaves you will need help from family or neighbors to empty skimmers or switch all suction to the main drain to ensure pump gets water.

Some of the best options are automated chlorine; whether it is a SWG, Stenner, or a neighbor up for daily dumps or pre-measured chlorine from leftover bottles. This most closely replicates your normal care and keeps things in check. Downside is none of them are actually testing the pool, so it's important to have an idea of your pool's typical demand.

Thanks. This is very helpful. Unfortunately my water temp is about 45-50F and haven't installed SWCG yet. With Spring Break with kids ahead, anticipating the need for a plan. [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Even without a SWG, once a person knows their pool a week long trip is easy to handle with just a little prep before leaving. Stays of ten or more days you'll need a little help while away.

During winter my SWG is off until the water temp gets back to up to 70 or so. When we take a trip I raise the FC level up to shock level for my CYA, [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]. With colder water that should easily last a week or 10 days. And depending on how my pH has been over the couple of weeks prior to leaving I'll lower PH a bit if it has been rising.

During winter my SWG is off until the water temp gets back to up to 70 or so. When we take a trip I raise the FC level up to shock level for my CYA, [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]. With colder water that should easily last a week or 10 days. And depending on how my pH has been over the couple of weeks prior to leaving I'll lower PH a bit if it has been rising.

Ditto. Even during swim season, I raise the FC to shock when going on vacation. I usually raise the pool up to shock a week before the trip to see how long it takes to return to normal FC. This gives me an idea of how long I can be away before I get a friend to add a gallon of chlorine or if I need to add a puck or two. Generally in Winter, I can be gone up to 8 days. In Summer, it seems to be about 4 or 5 days.

Good luck!

This past summer my wife and I went on vacation for 21 days. All three of my SWCG pools were still crystal clear when we got back. I did have someone add water when required.

Thanks,

Jim R

Same hear, I turned up the SWG a little, adjusted the pH down to 7.6, dumped in a jug of bleach to bring it up to slam levels and hooked up an auto top up with a float switch and timer via a regular hose. When we got back after 5 weeks the pH was at 7.8 and FC 10ppm. :D

I left two diluted acid doses with instructions when to add for a second pool and that one was much the same on return.

Admittedly it would be a little trickier without a SWG but leaving diluted additions of bleach and instructions when to add them might work.

I wouldn't buy a cover just for an absence, but if a cover is in your future and you have time to test the response, a cover can bring things to a standstill in winter, and slow changes down quite a lot the rest of the year.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.