Jul 1, 2022
Maryland
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Good morning!
It's the non mathlete, I hated chemistry in high school but I'm determined to figure this out and stay away from the pool store, person.

I finally received my Taylor test kit. I've done the testing and plugged in the numbers to pool math. I've read forums/posts, but just want to be sure I know what I am going to do is correct.

My readings from the pool store test (last Friday) were as follows:
TA - 221
Free chlorine - 0.1
Ph - 8.2
Cya - 96

I did Lo n slo per their directions. She told me to continue what we were doing with chlorine (3 inch puck once a week, 1 inch tabs as needed).

Last night I tested with my kits.

TA - 325
FC - 0.5
PH - 7.5
CYA - 60

Pool math tells me I have to do a bunch of things.
Would someone help me please with what to do first?

I so appreciate any help and will be thankful if I do not have to step into the pool store for chemicals/testing again.

Kelly

Add liquid chlorine to get your FC to 7-9 and do nothing else.

As Allen said -- except go swimming!!

EDIT -- and just to be sure -- No more pucks! Liquid chlorine only, every day.

See the notes on the TA test…

• Sometimes a static electric charge can build up on the R-0009 dropper bottle tip, causing the drops to be smaller than usual and making the test read higher than actual. You can prevent this by wipping the tip of the dropper bottle with a damp cloth or tissue before you start and after each drop.
  • Hold the dropper bottles vertically and squeeze gently, so that drops come out slowly and seem to hang on the tip of the dropper bottle for a moment before falling.

Your profile says you use Liquid Chlorine but you talk about using tablets.

How are you chlorinating your pool?

Your CYA is at the high limit and adding more CYA from tablets will start causing you problems or require partial draining.

See the notes on the TA test…

• Sometimes a static electric charge can build up on the R-0009 dropper bottle tip, causing the drops to be smaller than usual and making the test read higher than actual. You can prevent this by wipping the tip of the dropper bottle with a damp cloth or tissue before you start and after each drop.
  • Hold the dropper bottles vertically and squeeze gently, so that drops come out slowly and seem to hang on the tip of the dropper bottle for a moment before falling.
Ah, good info - many thanks!

Your profile says you use Liquid Chlorine but you talk about using tablets.

How are you chlorinating your pool?

Your CYA is at the high limit and adding more CYA from tablets will start causing you problems or require partial draining.
There wasn't a puck choice in the drop down box, or did I miss it?

I will gladly switch to liquid.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.