What to do/expect?

Already aerating, haha. Plus topping off after vacuuming.
Don't want to take the chance adding baking soda considering my TA is already exactly where I want it. I know it doesn't typically raise TA much, but I do have a couple bags on hand just in case. Unless you think that reading might be false as well? I haven't noticed a difference in the past...

TA test shouldn't be effected by high FC, but you could put a drop or 2 of chlorine neutralizer in the sample before you start the test, just to eliminate dye bleaching.

I definitely understand that about the baking soda. Borax won't raise your TA as much as baking soda. But you don't want to constantly be adding borax either.

I'm going to aerate for a few hours and see how it goes. Looks like rain today also, so that will help too. Going to pick up some reagent. Taking a sample with me so I can hear about everything I "need"...

- - - Updated - - -

That is definitely getting it done! lol Nice

Lol, yeah... I have bubbles circling all the way back around to the return... a few hours might be too much?

I did notice a few back swimmers while vacuuming. With the chlorine levels I've seen in this pool over the past few days, I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around how ANYTHING is still living in this pool. How accurate is the expiration dates on these tests? It says it expires 10/18 I keep it inside unless it's being used and inside stays 65°-70° at all times as suggested on the kit.

I did notice a few back swimmers while vacuuming. With the chlorine levels I've seen in this pool over the past few days, I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around how ANYTHING is still living in this pool. How accurate is the expiration dates on these tests? It says it expires 10/18 I keep it inside unless it's being used and inside stays 65°-70° at all times as suggested on the kit.

Personally I'm a bit anal and OCD, so I roll the regeants in my hands for a few seconds before doing the test, just to make sure there's no settling or separating,, it should not be necessary, but I do it anyway

There are a few threads of water boatmen and back swimmers not being effected by SLAM chlorine levels.

- - - Updated - - -

The aerating will also lower (gas off) FC as well, just fyi

- - - Updated - - -

As far as expiration dates, if stored properly, inside/away from light/heat, there are reports of people using them into a year after expiration, with expected results

Pool water alone, black for disappears at 80ppm. Either the CYA is ridiculously high or 0. Either way, it would still be a guess, which is useless.
I do not understand that. Testing pool water alone you get a CYA of 80??????? How can the dot disappear in 3/4" of water when your pic shows you can easily see at least a foot down?

At some point, you must decide to get a grip on your CYA so you can effectively use your chlorine. Can you help us understand the quote above?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I don't think that top step is barely in the water, you can't see the next step
Perhaps, but from the two pics the water is fairly blue and it looks like there is visibility to 6", if not more. That vis would yield a CYA view tube result of ZERO if you do not use the reagent......that's why I don't understand where the 80 CYA is coming from.

Perhaps, but from the two pics the water is fairly blue and it looks like there is visibility to 6", if not more. That vis would yield a CYA view tube result of ZERO if you do not use the reagent......that's why I don't understand where the 80 CYA is coming from.

The top step is literally a half inch under the water surface.

Yes my water nice and blue, green COMPLETELY gone, it's just very VERY cloudy.

Just got back from 2 pool supply stores. Neither of them had any R-0871... I'm completely out

Did have my water tested during both stops...

Store #1 test results...

PH = 7.3
FC = 6.0
TC = 6.0
TA = 80
CYA = 100

Store #2 test results...

PH = 7.2
FC = 5
TC = 5
TA = 120
CH = 120
CYA = 40
TDS = 1,000
PHO = 1,000

The CYA reading at store #2 is actually pretty close to where it should be, but I still don't trust them...

I can't begin to explain how uncomfortable I am right now, not being able to check my chlorine and having to order and wait on new reagent. It will probably be Tuesday at the earliest, probably Wednesday before I get any.

Have you checked your dance filter and make sure it's not compacted?

I haven't looked at it. The filter and sand and everything between it to the pool was installed about 6 weeks before closing last year and not quite a week so far this year. Although it's ran probably more this week than the entire 6 weeks last year put together. I backwash it daily since its been running this week. The pressure after backwashing is between 10-12 and between 14-16 before. When just circulating its closer to 10, but still above it slightly.
I mean, I'll open it up tomorrow and look at it. Although I'm not exactly sure what you mean by compacted. I would assuming that would mean very tightly packed in?

Apparently my wife made a trip to the pool store today as well. She got home and added a clarifier while I was out getting something to test chlorine. I was a little upset about it at first, but it actually seems to be helping. As in i can actually see the third step now... Something about we let it settle to the bottom and then vacuum it out... 1527303025416543997290.jpg

If that is floc, DON’T let it go through your filter. It will gum up your sand.

If that is floc, DON’T let it go through your filter. It will gum up your sand.

This is "Clear and Perfect clarifier" by Natural Chemistry.
She said the woman told her to add the entire bottle, let the filter run on recirculate for 2 hours then turn it off, wait 48 hours for all the stuff to settle to the bottom, then vacuum it on waste. I really don't care as long as it works and right now it seems to be helping. At this point I don't care and don't have a problem replacing every little grain of the 175 lbs of sand if need be. I used the cheap stuff anyways (200lbs for around $25.00) Maybe the reason it's not filtering this stuff out???

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.