What size are my Doughboy Media Masters?

Blasted Bill

Mar 14, 2023
detroit michigan
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I have picked up 2 identical Media Masters for cheap. However, the label indicating their model number have come of. I have the serial numbers but there doesn't seem to be a look up or decoder. My older filterI(hayward i think) i was able to look up a chart and fine how much sand to put in by measuring it. The MM's I can't find a size to model number chart. They are both 64 in in circumference and 32 in tall. If any one knows the model(and more importantly the amount of sand) I would greatly appreciate.

I have 200 in one and 150 in the other. I'm having trouble getting my pool to clear. The pump slows down to nothing in a few hours and i have to back wash. The filter to waste is super cloudy. the length of time it takes the pump to slow down is getting longer and the pool is getting clearer, just take WAY longer they i would have thought(over a week). So want to make sure i have the right amount of sand.

Welcome to TFP! :wave: Are these filters equipped with a top-mount MPV? If so, then you should be safe to go with the 2/3 full rule. Some people relate that to the curved portion of the filter. Some manufactures will state to keep the sand about 6 inches below the top of the center standpipe.

But your other issue about cloudy water and lack of water flow sounds like classic algae. Are you familiar with the TFP SLAM Process? If not, we can assist if you are able to share a full set of water test results.

Also be sure to visit our Pool Care Basics page for lots of great info.

I have picked up 2 identical Media Masters for cheap. However, the label indicating their model number have come of. I have the serial numbers but there doesn't seem to be a look up or decoder. My older filterI(hayward i think) i was able to look up a chart and fine how much sand to put in by measuring it. The MM's I can't find a size to model number chart. They are both 64 in in circumference and 32 in tall. If any one knows the model(and more importantly the amount of sand) I would greatly appreciate.

I have 200 in one and 150 in the other. I'm having trouble getting my pool to clear. The pump slows down to nothing in a few hours and i have to back wash. The filter to waste is super cloudy. the length of time it takes the pump to slow down is getting longer and the pool is getting clearer, just take WAY longer they i would have thought(over a week). So want to make sure i have the right amount of sand.
Both are 19" tanks. Doughboy says 225 pounds of sand. The one with 150 is not filtering. The one with 200 is not filtering well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Texas Splash
Welcome to TFP! :wave: Are these filters equipped with a top-mount MPV? If so, then you should be safe to go with the 2/3 full rule. Some people relate that to the curved portion of the filter. Some manufactures will state to keep the sand about 6 inches below the top of the center standpipe.

But your other issue about cloudy water and lack of water flow sounds like classic algae. Are you familiar with the TFP SLAM Process? If not, we can assist if you are able to share a full set of water test results.

Also be sure to visit our Pool Care Basics page for lots of great info.
Yes the Multi Port Valve is located on the top. Looks just like the one 1poolman1 posted. Yes I did have a terrible algae issue, then once it was dealt with couldn't get it cleared. I do not have a good test kit yet so couldn't do the SLAM myself. I was doing what the local(not chain) pool store recommended. Seemed very similar to the slam. Had to keep dumping tons of chlorine in. Finally got all tests stable, just couldn't get the cloudness to clear until i got my pumps and filters working. I have an assortment of pumps and filters and finally got a pair that works good. The water is almost clean and i'm down to just having to backwash twice a day. Today i could start seeing the bottom of the pool I think my monday it will be there. then i can move back to not having to run both filters 24/7.

Both are 19" tanks. Doughboy says 225 pounds of sand. The one with 150 is not filtering. The one with 200 is not filtering well.
AHHH!!! Now I understand how to figure out what model. I totally missed that when i was trying to find the answer myself. I have another bag of 50. I'll put half in both tomorrow then have to pick up another bag. What's interesting is it seems like i get more cloudy water out of the 150 when i backwash(technically during the filter to waste) but that could be that the sand is not grabbing it and it's just staying in the filter. A Friend gave me some DE to try too. Thanks.

AHHH!!! Now I understand how to figure out what model. I totally missed that when i was trying to find the answer myself. I have another bag of 50. I'll put half in both tomorrow then have to pick up another bag. What's interesting is it seems like i get more cloudy water out of the 150 when i backwash(technically during the filter to waste) but that could be that the sand is not grabbing it and it's just staying in the filter. A Friend gave me some DE to try too. Thanks.
A better pump would help tremendously.

So the filter with more sand was still running when I got up the morning(usually would be almost no flow). I put 25 more lbs in(total of 225) and also tried the DE. I had to backwash it twice(readding DE each time) and OME the pool looks so much better. I can actually see the bottom today. It was on it's way there, but the correct amount of sand and or the DE really speed that up. Thanks all :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.