What Salt does everyone recommend? - Dallas TX

Apr 13, 2017
Little Elm Texas
Need to add salt.
Did a quick search, saw a thread recommending this stuff from Home Depot, well, two items from HD.
I think one has additives though?

Leslie's online does not show me the price of their salt.

type some in Walmart and you get a ton of results, some with Amazon.

Just want to make sure I get the right one, without additives or issues of staining (saw something like that in another thread).

I am in Frisco Texas (Dallas area).

The Diamond Solar Salt is a better bet cost wise. Might be larger lumps of salt but they dissolve just as easily as the smaller, more expensive pool salt. Stay away from Clorox brand salt at all costs!
Make sure you test kit your salt level before adding any based on the SWG device reading.

Maddie :flower:

Reactions: lardo5150
Lardo,

Either one will work fine.. I use the "Splash Ready" because I like to sweep it around until it dissolves and it seems to me that the water softener salt takes a little longer. Since I don't really use a lot of salt, it is worth the extra cost to me.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: lardo5150
I use the water softener salt. I only have to add salt when I exchange my water to fresh due to CH build up.

For those of you who use the larger water softener pellets, do you just dump them in the deep end and brush them around until dissolved?

It seems like this would take an hour or so for them to be dissolved, and likely require multiple brushings.

Alternatively, could you add them to your skimmer basket? Obviously you could not hold a full 40 lb bag in your skimmer, but it seems like it would help them dissolve without multiple brushings over the course of an hour or so.

I dump them primarily in the deep end. Brush a bit. Better is to add them and swim. Water movement dissolves them. They dissolve pretty quick. Warmer water really helps.

Reactions: JJ_Tex
Walmart sells Mortons Pool salt for almost the same price as the Diamond Crystal Water Softener Salt at HD. I would go for the finer salt at the same price.

Walmart_Mortons_Pool_Salt.png

Reactions: setsailsoon
Walmart sells Mortons Pool salt for almost the same price as the Diamond Crystal Water Softener Salt at HD. I would go for the finer salt at the same price.

View attachment 125842
That's all I use. It's the most expensive one on the rack but total $ are so low it's just worth it to me. I find dumping in the shallow end is easier to brush any residue that lingers. Never takes more than 30 min.

Chris

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.