What proactive steps needed when fire is close by...

an1vrsy

Bronze Supporter
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas, NV
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
Well, unfortunately, here in Southern California it is fire season. There is one burning nearby, approximately 5 - 10 miles away, if that. Here is a shot of the smoke rising.

RSM-Fire2.jpg

I am not concerned about fire retardant getting into the pool. However, the ash fallout may come my way. Is this where I would raise FC and just monitor pH? I guess I should google the chemical makeup of ash.

Any thoughts?

Well, this morning, prior to the fire, I did my normal tests.

Time 10:15 pacific
FC 4.2
CC 0
pH 8.0 (dosed 11 oz of MA to get to 7.6)
TA 80
CH 280
CYA 40

I went out and tested the water this afternoon...

4:31 pacific
FC 3.4
CC 0
pH 7.6

So, I'll check pH in the morning to determine if there was any fallout and rise.

... how do you have such a low CH with our water we use? Mine is around 550. Do you have a water softener? Thanks

I found TFP in early July after getting an acid wash based upon pool store advice. When the contractor mentioned he did not estimate nor plan on opening the pool, I used google to try and figure out what was needed. Lo and behold, TFP... After the work was done, I filled the pool. I have a friend who works for the SMWD and he told me that their water source changed. So if you are serviced by SMWD, take a test of the tap water. Not to say you should drain and refill but you might be able to swing a partial drain if your test results are satisfactory.

Recent posts related to fires and Ash seem to indicate very little impact to the chemistry. Just a lot of debris that needed to be filtered out.

I guess my ability to search within TFP needs to improve. Knowing how long this site as been answering questions, I figured I couldn't have been the first one to ask. However, my search yielded no real answers. I saw "ash" and figured if a lot of debris fell into the pool I would probably be dealing with raised pH at minimum. So far, nothing really has changed with the pool water chemistry.

I really hate fire season here.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.