New Orleans
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45 Plus
I noticed the pump shut down and found this. What might have happened, are these replaceable parts, and if not, can I use this Polaris motor that I am no longer using?

Thanks

Attachments

• E8EE28AD-B529-46EB-B663-6F6DB9631114.jpeg
    E8EE28AD-B529-46EB-B663-6F6DB9631114.jpeg
    418.5 KB · Views: 82
  • 1DF09110-92A8-488D-8146-28B97AAD3204.jpeg
    1DF09110-92A8-488D-8146-28B97AAD3204.jpeg
    412.7 KB · Views: 83
  • 447574CD-EE9F-4CBA-9B63-FDC1B7401F3B.jpeg
    447574CD-EE9F-4CBA-9B63-FDC1B7401F3B.jpeg
    473.1 KB · Views: 81
  • 607F84D7-D100-4098-BA8C-AB77E44A8DFA.jpeg
    607F84D7-D100-4098-BA8C-AB77E44A8DFA.jpeg
    516.8 KB · Views: 81
  • F7388A05-CFCA-45CB-8D78-B1301D97DA4E.jpeg
    F7388A05-CFCA-45CB-8D78-B1301D97DA4E.jpeg
    713.7 KB · Views: 77
  • F6199099-465A-4CA9-B55A-BF40C123E2E2.jpeg
    F6199099-465A-4CA9-B55A-BF40C123E2E2.jpeg
    410.8 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: YippeeSkippy
Well, if it's any consolation you're not the only one this has happened to.

Reactions: geh
Well, if it's any consolation you're not the only one this has happened to.

Funny. Now that you mention it, my wife and I were in the laundry room this morning, right on the other side of the wall where the pool equipment is. We heard a bang or something that fell, outside. We looked at each other and said "What was that?" We recently had an hvac service call on the fan motor (next to the pool pump) and I said I hope the a/c fan motor didn't go out because that's now a $1000.00 part. She looked out the window and said, there's some birds out there, maybe something a bird did. Now I know what we heard.

Reactions: Texas Splash
Thanks for the short and quick. Do I need a new motor or can I replace the capacitor?
It depends on how the cap got shorted. Possibly, vibrations led it to contact the cover (that black piece that flew off) and short. I would try replacing the capacitor (the silver thing...record the numbers from it and either purchase a new one online, or go to a pool store or possibly even an HVAC supplier or motor store...get an equivalent replacement). Hook it up, put the cover on making sure it doesn't touch the contacts / leads anywhere. Stand back and turn on the motor & see what happens. That's what I'd do.

There is a chance there is a short in the motor itself, but since it was the start/run cap that blew, I'd guess it's more likely a direct short on the cap.

Since a new cap is relatively inexpensive and easy to replace, I'd do the same thing (replace) assuming there were no other obvious signs of damage to the motor or wiring. I got my previous caps off Amazon fast. Hopefully you'll never hear that sounds again. But if a new cap blows, it's time to have an expert dig into that motor.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks, you guys are great! I appreciate the short and quick to get to a quick solution. I was reading up on this on the forums and wiki as you all replied. I will seek out the exact replacement capacitor and try that first. I was reading it may still carry a charge and to touch the contacts with an insulated screwdriver to bleed any charge. I think the cover must have blown off and it looks like there's grease in there, but maybe its water for the rainstorm that just rolled through. Pretty sure this blew before the rainstorm, based on my comment above and the sound my wife and I heard this morning, before the rain, and also there was no lightning associated with this rain shower, just a brief heavy downpour.

Reactions: EASyDAII
OK, if the breaker didn't trip, then that is potentially good news for the motor itself.
If the motor windings short out, then that will cause the breaker to trip (and usually won't result in a blown cap).
Usually, caps fail pretty quietly. They swell, but before getting to the explosion bit, stop being able to start the motor. So your motor hums and then the thermal protect switch cuts it off until you power it off and let it cool down. But in some rare cases, they go out with a bang. You might have had a power surge.

Since the breaker didn't trip, it's probably not a short in the motor itself. Should be good just getting a replacement cap.

If you have a sump pump, you can use that to draw and return right back to the pool to keep water moving. Keep chlorinating and brushing in the meantime.

Oh, be sure to increase your FC now if you don't have any other ability to move water. The last thing you need besides a downed motor is an algae bloom. :)
Yes, my chemistry has been perfect and stable for a long time, testing and adjusting daily. Currently, I have 50ppm borate in the pool, 4ppm chlorine, 7.8 pH, and TA and CH are ideal. I don't see any algae coming into the picture given the borate level. I will add chlorine as needed and thrash out some laps to stir it up and get some exercise. I will, as you said, bump up the chlorine level as a precaution.

Reactions: Texas Splash
OK, if the breaker didn't trip, then that is potentially good news for the motor itself.
If the motor windings short out, then that will cause the breaker to trip (and usually won't result in a blown cap).
Usually, caps fail pretty quietly. They swell, but before getting to the explosion bit, stop being able to start the motor. So your motor hums and then the thermal protect switch cuts it off until you power it off and let it cool down. But in some rare cases, they go out with a bang. You might have had a power surge.

Since the breaker didn't trip, it's probably not a short in the motor itself. Should be good just getting a replacement cap.

If you have a sump pump, you can use that to draw and return right back to the pool to keep water moving. Keep chlorinating and brushing in the meantime.
If there was a power surge it was from the power company, as there was no lightning here for at least a week. I also checked my APC Surge protector in my home office and its green and office equipment fine. I have a submersible pump so great idea, I'll run that for circulation.

Thanks, you guys are great! I appreciate the short and quick to get to a quick solution. I was reading up on this on the forums and wiki as you all replied. I will seek out the exact replacement capacitor and try that first. I was reading it may still carry a charge and to touch the contacts with an insulated screwdriver to bleed any charge. I think the cover must have blown off and it looks like there's grease in there, but maybe its water for the rainstorm that just rolled through. Pretty sure this blew before the rainstorm, based on my comment above and the sound my wife and I heard this morning, before the rain, and also there was no lightning associated with this rain shower, just a brief heavy downpour.
I suspect there may have been some lightning, even if you didn't notice it. It can be far away and still get your equipment.
The cover blew completely off your cap...no contacts left to touch. De-energize the motor circuit & pull the cover off the leads. Make sure you still have the screw for the cap cover--might need to find a replacement screw if it's missing. Dump the old cap. All you need to do is match the capacitance (30uF) and voltage rating (at least 370VAC) and make sure rated for 50/60 Hz. That's a pretty common cap. This one would work: https://smile.amazon.com/BOJACK-Sta...=1654016963&sprefix=30uf+370vac,aps,86&sr=8-3

You can probably find it locally if you have the time to look.

Limit or eliminate your contact with the liquid contents of the cap. There are various contents, some are not friendly to touch. Wash hands well after.

I suspect there may have been some lightning, even if you didn't notice it. It can be far away and still get your equipment.
The cover blew completely off your cap...no contacts left to touch. De-energize the motor circuit & pull the cover off the leads. Make sure you still have the screw for the cap cover--might need to find a replacement screw if it's missing. Dump the old cap. All you need to do is match the capacitance (30uF) and voltage rating (at least 370VAC) and make sure rated for 50/60 Hz. That's a pretty common cap. This one would work: https://smile.amazon.com/BOJACK-Starting-Capacitor-450VAC-10000AFC/dp/B07PBWT8LX/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=30uf+370vac+capacitor+50/60+hz&qid=1654016963&sprefix=30uf+370vac,aps,86&sr=8-3

You can probably find it locally if you have the time to look.
Mine is +6% -6%, according the the picture in my first post. This one in the link you shared is +- 5%. Is that a significant difference? Also, 370 VAC versus 450 VAC.

Mine is +6% -6%, according the the picture in my first post. This one in the link you shared is +- 5%. Is that a significant difference? The rest of the spec's look the same
No. Lower is better. That's the tolerance...how far off the listed value it can actually be.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.