What is typical/normal water loss?

Just wondering what typically you expect to lose from evaporation or ??? normally?
What I (or others) lose each day could vary considerably from you based on ambient air temperature, prevailing winds, etc. But lately I've been seeing a drop of about 3/16" a day, so just over 1/2 inch every 3 days or so. Very hot and breezy in my area lately.

Reactions: 67mike and Lineman7
It depends on several factors, but 1-2" a week is probably average in the summer. You can do a bucket test to see if you are losing due to a leak vs evaporation. Fill a bucket 1/2 way with pool water and sit it on a step in your pool. Mark the water level inside the bucket and where the pool water hits on the outside of the bucket. Let is sit undisturbed for 24 hours and mark the water levels again. If you lose more water outside the bucket than inside you may have a leak. If they are pretty close then its just evaporation.

Reactions: 67mike
Last year I had a leak that I thought started late in the season. Looking back it started much earlier and might have been there since I opened the pool, or it started shortly after. I was putting almost an inch of water in my pool about every 2-3 days. I actually rigged up a timer to do it. This year with the new liner it's been almost 3 weeks and I haven't added any water at all.

Reactions: 67mike
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.