Jun 19, 2021
Warren Ohio
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
65991BC7-F3B6-4A85-A308-4383E6C80D65.jpeg
Can anyone identify what this gray sludge may be? My ex-pool store told me it was phosphates residue from when I used a chemical to get rid of phosphates. I was told phosphates was the reason why I couldn't hold chlorine when I opened and cloudy water. The phosphates were cleared up but I dumped over 80 bags of Burnout 73 per their instructions over 2 weeks for the cloudy water. With TFP help I am on my way to a clear, balanced pool but still fighting this sludge. I am constantly running the pool vac. I tried hand vacuuming but didn't have enough suction through my skimmer baskets. I think this stuff is the reason I am still not crystal clear in the deep end of the pool.

Vacuum filter basket?
Yes. I have a Utopia pool where the pump and filter were in the cement right next to the pool. The pump and filter have been replaced and are located near the house. I have 2 skimmer baskets under the smaller cover. This is where I would hook up the vac. The larger side was where the pump was located. They no longer make this type of pool.

Attachments

• 73447F72-8275-4A79-B18D-FB56172B9D55.jpeg
    73447F72-8275-4A79-B18D-FB56172B9D55.jpeg
    710.7 KB · Views: 25
Does the residue fizz up if you drop any muriatic acid of vinegar on it? 80 bags of Burnout is a lot of calcium hypochlorite! It added 160ppm of calcium to whatever calcium you already had in the pool. Could you post your latest set of test results?

Does the residue fizz up if you drop any muriatic acid of vinegar on it? 80 bags of Burnout is a lot of calcium hypochlorite! It added 160ppm of calcium to whatever calcium you already had in the pool. Could you post your latest set of test results?
The next time I clean my vac I will put the acid on it and let you know.

Today's results
FC 2.5
TA 120
PH 7.2
CYA 40

using Pool Math to make adjustments

What us a Utopia pool? Can you show us a pic of what is under that big square cover?? Why did you change from sand to glass?
Here is a picture of the skimmers. The larger side is difficult to lift up by myself, but it was the space for the pump. Many times, even with a sump pump, this space would flood and would kill the motor.

Here is a link for the description. I was told they went out of business by my pool company.

I changed from sand to glass because it was recommended by my pool company. They told me I wouldn't have to replace the glass.
What us a Utopia pool? Can you show us a pic of what is under that big square cover?? Why did you change from sand to glass?

Attachments

• 8D70718D-9D2E-46DC-8945-A58A2BEC9C73.jpeg
    8D70718D-9D2E-46DC-8945-A58A2BEC9C73.jpeg
    590.5 KB · Views: 15

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Keep the pH in the 7's. That will handle the TA. But no need to raise the pH if in the 7's. And if pH is ever low, use Borax. It does not add much TA.

They told me I wouldn't have to replace the glass.
You never have to change sand either.

Reactions: Xuna
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.