What is this port in my spa for?

Sum12B

Aug 27, 2012
My spa has an intake in the floor, a return on the wall, four bubbler jets on the wall, and....the curious part. On the bench part that's formed into the spa itself, where you sit, on a hole in the wall of it by where your calf would rest. It's plumbed into something but I'm not sure where it goes. What is this for? I've asked a couple of "pool guys" but they just guessed. Hopefully someone here knows.

Looks like another drain with a strainer cover, or maybe in this case an intake for the jets that doesn't bother sending water all the way back through the pool filter. Like with an indoor jetted tub where there is a drain in the bottom that empties the tub into the waste line, and an intake on the side for the pump to feed the jets.

Another option is that is how they brought the spa drain up to VGBA compliance.

How long ago was this pool refurbished?

Its usually taking the easy way out by voting with Marty. But the man is right. Alot. Im guessing he is this time also.

Hi all and thanks for the reply's.

The pool and spa plumbing are all original as far as I can tell. Well as far as what's buried and built into the pool. I have not had them worked on at all.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
No not original plaster. It was resurfaced a month ago. They just removed all of the covers and return eyeballs and went to work. The hole behind the cover is smaller than the cover, about 6 inches in diameter. From what I can tell it never has any real suction to it either with the spa intake on. I might try using some food coloring though and see if it is an active intake.

1993 was before VGBA. It took effect in 2008. Though if you replastered this year, and had to pull a permit for it, the pool would have had to meet the VGBA standards. When did you come into possesion of this pool?

Your food coloring test would be interesting.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.