What is this noise? New motor, old housing/impeller/diffuser

Did you replace the seals when you replaced the motor?

Did you inspect the impeller and diffuser when you had it all apart?

Yes and yes. The shaft seal was replaced and any o-ring that was part of the assembly was replaced (with the Into "go-kit"). The diffuser inner ring felt a little rough, but I was told some wear there is expected. Impeller didn't appear to be damaged or worn in any way.

Does your new motor horsepower match the pumps *original* horsepower? (The impeller is the correct size for the new motor?)

Could there be something bouncing around inside the wet end of the pump?

Does your new motor horsepower match the pumps *original* horsepower? (The impeller is the correct size for the new motor?)

The new motor is a USQ1102 (1 HP). It replaces a 1 HP STA-RITE motor. I consulted with Inyo before making any purchase.

The noise in the video above is the noise that made me replace the motor. Clearly, it wasn't the motor making the noise... though the old motor was 11 years old so it was due for a replacement.

Turn the pump off open the lid remove the basket and spin the impeller using a small screw driver. See if it makes any sounds while spinning that way. The impeller or diffuser could be a little lose. If the diffuser has a screw missing on one side it could make a noise like that. Feel the pump and see if it's bouncing on the pad. Lots of small air bubbles can also make strange nosie.
To me it sounds like the diffuser or something is vibrating.

Reactions: racharoow
Turn the pump off open the lid remove the basket and spin the impeller using a small screw driver. See if it makes any sounds while spinning that way. The impeller or diffuser could be a little lose. If the diffuser has a screw missing on one side it could make a noise like that. Feel the pump and see if it's bouncing on the pad. Lots of small air bubbles can also make strange nosie.
To me it sounds like the diffuser or something is vibrating.
I'll give that a shot once it stops raining. Thanks!

I went over lunch and checked it out. I can turn the impeller with a screw driver, but it doesn't spin more than the amount that I push it with the screw driver. Is that expected?

I managed to get my phone in there to take a photo. Doesn't look normal, does it? The motor is also very hot, almost too hot to touch for more than a few seconds. I also grabbed another video showing how the noise gets louder once the system has finished priming.

Attachments

• IMG_3326.jpg
    IMG_3326.jpg
    370.3 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_3327.jpg
    IMG_3327.jpg
    309.6 KB · Views: 14
That picture is looking into the diffuser at the impeller? If so, the impeller looks off-center. Is the diffuser flush with the seal plate - no gaps where its screws into the seal plate?

Last edited:
Reactions: borjis
That picture is looking into the diffuser at the impeller? If so, the impeller looks off-center. Is the diffuser flush with the seal plate - no gaps where its screws into the seal plate?
That picture is taken from the basket area, pointed back towards the impeller. The camera might not be centered in the basket area, leading it to look like something is off center.

I will take the assembly apart and make sure it's all sorted. Thanks

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Your impeller is grinding on one side. You’ll need a new impeller and diffuser. When you take it apart make sure the motor can sit flush on the seal plate housing. If it’s cocked you may need a new seal plate. If it isn’t addressed you may run into the same problem with new parts. 1632861823423.jpeg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.