What is the significance of TDS as it related to pool balance?

drummerman951

Silver Supporter
Apr 6, 2019
Riverside, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Thought I would do an additional test this morning while trying to deal with other things..... my pool is ballpark 6 months old. The pool guy (who I fired last week) has been adding liquid chlorine and acid as appropriate (I can only hope), although this is a saltwater pool with SWG. I use this basic digital iSpring TDS meter for measuring TDS present in my tap water, RO system and refrigerator dispenser. Those numbers are respectable at 329ppm, 14ppm & 20ppm.... I think anyways.

This is the first time I have tested for TDS. SO imagine my shock when I tested my pool to find TDS at 2080! How can this be? Is there a chart that states what is acceptable? Does meter need to be calibrated for use with pool water? Should I be using a different meter? Little help please. Thanks!

You have an SWG, don't you have something like 2500 ppm of salt dissolved in your water? Sounds to me like your meter is actually reading a bit low.

Anyway, TDS is not very important for pool care. It used to be a way to tell when water was "old", but that was before we were able to more accurately measure the components that make it up. Now it's just a relic of a bygone era, nothing to worry about. Your K2006 will give you the numbers you need, along with a salt test.

You have an SWG, don't you have something like 2500 ppm of salt dissolved in your water? Sounds to me like your meter is actually reading a bit low.

Anyway, TDS is not very important for pool care. It used to be a way to tell when water was "old", but that was before we were able to more accurately measure the components that make it up. Now it's just a relic of a bygone era, nothing to worry about. Your K2006 will give you the numbers you need, along with a salt test.
Thanks for helping me make the connection between TDS and salt! You are correct, it seems this meter is reading quite low if salt=TDS.

TDS= total dissolved solids= salt, calcium, chlorine, alkalinity ...all the parts of stuff *in* your water. So basically it means nothing. Nada. Zip. Don't let it worry you. :)

If you didn't have *anything* in your water it would have to be distilled, y'know?

We don't bat an eye at it.

Maddie :flower:
Great! Relieved that I don't have to drain part of the pool, etc.

What SWG do you have?

What is the salinity reading from the SWG?

You should get a K-1766 test kit to monitor the salinity independently of the SWG.

With proper chemistry management, you should almost never need acid or liquid chlorine.

Can you post a full set of chemistry readings?

Reactions: drummerman951
With proper chemistry management, you should almost never need acid or liquid chlorine.
With the fill water you have in Riverside, CA, you will need acid. Regularly.

I imagine you have Colorado River water for fill water. CH of 250ppm, TA of 130 ppm, and pH 8+

Thanks. SWG is in signature. I have the K-1766 and salt looks good right now. I was only concerned about TDS impact on pool, since I know very little about that.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.