What is the purpose of this valve?

Transient

Feb 3, 2021
BC, Canada
I was wondering what is the purpose of this valve over top of my SWG and should it be open when the pump is running?

I recently bought this house and I had a pool company come open the pool, but he left this valve closed (it was closed before he did his thing too). I just wanted to double-check whether or not this looks normal.

PXL_20210507_010624070.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20210507_010613341.jpg
    PXL_20210507_010613341.jpg
    483 KB · Views: 19
If open, the easiest path is through the upper line. The lower line, through the SWCG, might still see some flow.

I suspect it was put in as you had or have a single speed pump that was assumed could flow too much for the SWCG.
But, obviously, that is not an issue if the valve is closed.

I do have a 1.5 HP single speed pump (VS on order). I'm not sure I trust this pool guy to be honest, but since you're also saying this is how it should be, then I trust it is correct.

The reason behind why I'm not sure about the job this guy did opening my pool is a bit complicated. The short version is somebody removed a cap inside the Vanquish canister which was connected to nothing on the other side. That effectively left a 2" hole below the water line. I'm guessing it was him but I can't say for certain it wasn't like that when I bought the house. I was giving him the benefit of the doubt, but he seems to be dodging me ever since I told him about it on Monday which is rather annoying.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.