What is the Best equipment set-up for sanitation?

Justin56

Dec 24, 2020
Ventura, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Hi there,
Our family is building a new inground pool and I would like to purchase the best system. First time pool owner. I have been using the forums to educate myself and have learned that UV in So. California is a waste. Ozone for indoor pools. Chlorine is the way to go. Our builder is pushing the nature2 swcg plus mineral sanitation. I am not sold at all on the mineral aspect so its out. I would love to install what trouble free pool recommends.
I am assuming its swcg only. I would love some help and recommendations. Love this site. Absolutely fantastic.

Hey Justin !! Sounds like you have a good grip on the basics. UV and Ozone have a place for indoor or commercial pools, but are all but useless in outdoor residential pools. There is also no way to test that they work so that's not so great either when they fail and you're the last to know.

The nature 2 mineral SWG is awesome for the SWG part but really bad with the mineral part. You can either run it with no mineral cartridges, or opt for just a SWG system. Here's why :

Several metals(minerals) are natural algae inhibitors. By adding them to the pool, algae is less likely to grow. But the same metals are actually bad for the pool and it's swimmers. The industry is obsessed with algae prevention because as long as the water is clear, the pool owner is happy. But. What minerals don't do is sanitize. At all. Any viruses, bacteria, pathogens, bodily fluids or solids, etc, will freely roam until people get sick. Family or people who are close enough to your family to invite them in your pool.

In order to use a mineral system properly, you need to fully sanitize on your own along side the system. The manufacturers claim you can use less chlorine and that is a BOLD FACED LIE because again, metals do nothing to sanitize. So if you have to fully sanitize yourself anyway, why buy an expensive system that needs expensive replacement cartridges every 3(?) months ?

So this leaves your choices of liquid chlorine (bleach) or having a SWG add the same chlorine, only in gas form. I've read here some times that the system they want to install is actually pretty good on the SWG part. Others will be along with thoughts in a bit.

Reactions: mguzzy and Justin56
In Ventura, your water is higher in calcium. What is called 'hard' water. So if you have a water softener, it would be advisable to plumb your pool make up water, what you will use to fill the pool due to evaporation, to the softener. If not, you will need to manage closely an aspect of chemistry called CSI, or Calcium Saturation Index.

SWCG is the easiest method for a residential pool owner to add chlorine to a pool.

Reactions: Justin56
In Ventura, your water is higher in calcium. What is called 'hard' water. So if you have a water softener, it would be advisable to plumb your pool make up water, what you will use to fill the pool due to evaporation, to the softener. If not, you will need to manage closely an aspect of chemistry called CSI, or Calcium Saturation Index.

SWCG is the easiest method for a residential pool owner to add chlorine to a pool.
We received our pre-construction binder yesterday and they specifically instructed to not fill the pool with soft water. Are you advising that we fill the pool with soft water? yes, our water in Ventura is high in calcium. Is CSI hard to control? We will go with a SWCG, do you recommend a brand?

Not fill the pool initially but when you need to ADD water due to evaporation, use soft water.

What automation system are you installing? I would assume with Pentair VS pump it would be an Intellicenter. If so, install the IC60.

Justin.. I just want to chime in and give a second vote for what Newdude and Marty said. Go with the IC60, tell the PB to pass on the mineral thing in favor of a full SWG. See if the PB can plumb the fill line from your water softener system when you are discussing details. Sounds like you are going to have a really nice pool.. don't forget to make a build thread for us to all watch. :wave:

I live close to Ventura and I can tell you they are spot on about the calcium. We resurfaced out pool a year ago. I stayed on top of everything pretty good and checked the Calcium a month ago and it was over 500. It was 325 last summer. I did a water swap and got it down to 425. Looking into a softener right now. The water alkalinity is pretty high too so you might want to invest in a Stenner pump for daily acid input in the Summer when you are adding water all the time from evaporation.

I didn’t go with a salt cell due to PH issues with high alkaline fill water. I just installed a Stenner pump for liquid chlorine. I felt like I would be adding a ton of acid on a weekly basis to keep the PH below 8 with a salt cell. If you go with SWG just stay on top of that PH in the Summer time. Enjoy your new pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.