What is considered a too high salt level in non-SWG?

It's really up to you. Most SWG pools are in the 3000-4000ppm range. Some people are sensitive to the taste when it gets in that range, to me my SWG pool tastes like weak tears, the rest of my family says they don't taste anything.

I would not worry about it until it got over 4000, but if you were in the 3000 range, may as well add a SWG.

Now since you are in TX and 99% chance you have the soft flagstone coping that you all seem to love ;) , the higher the salt level the more at risk the flagstone is to flaking.

I would not worry about it until it got over 4000, but if you were in the 3000 range, may as well add a SWG.

Now since you are in TX and 99% chance you have the soft flagstone coping that you all seem to love ;) , the higher the salt level the more at risk the flagstone is to flaking.

I have been wondering why my stone is flaking... thanks!! One more reason to get a swg next season.

I intentionally raised my salt level to 2000 just because I like the feel of the water. I am planning to get a SWG during the winter to use next season, but I didn’t raise the salt level for that.

I have been wondering why my stone is flaking... thanks!! One more reason to get a swg next season.
There are some that report flagstone flaking nowhere near a pool, whether salt or not. And there are some that have flagstone by a SWG pool with no issues. Just depends on the quality of the stones.

Although I do not understand your comment about wanting a SWG as a result of your flagstone flaking :scratch:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
All forms of chlorine add salt, as well as muriatic acid

Depends what you are defining as "salt". A "salt", as defined in chemistry, is a neutral biproduct of an acid/base neutralization reaction. But most of us define salt as table salt (NaCl). It's also what your SWG needs, and what can make your water feel "softer".

I know Pool Math shows the solid forms of Chlorine adding salt to your pool, but it's hard for me to understand, as they contain no source of Sodium. Liquid Chlorine / Bleach (Sodium Hypochlorite) brings it's own source of Sodium, and it's easy to understand how one of it's decomposition biproducts is salt (NaCl).

I'm sure there is some chemical reaction that shows where the Sodium comes from in your pool water - and probably already written up on this website. :)

like lightmaster, i added salt for the feel. and it is great! between 2500 and 3000. The bad news i found out later was that the acrylic coating i have on my patterned concrete doesn't like salt water. argh.

as an aside, i took a sample to a leslie's store the other day just for fun since i was going to be in the area and asked to measure salt also. the guy asked me if i had a SWG; i said "no, i added salt because i like the feel of the water." 30 seconds later, he says "so you just dumped salt in the pool for no good reason, huh?" so i repeated, "no, i added it because i like the feel." i guess i look like rodney dangerfield....

Last edited:
like lightmaster, i added salt for the feel. and it is great! between 2500 and 3000. The bad news i found out later was that the acrylic coating i have on my patterned concrete doesn't like salt water. argh.....

Acrylic coating was actually applied to my deck to help protect it from any salt damage. The acrylic is impervious to any damage from salt water. You do need to touch-up any cracks or chips to prevent water from getting under the coating. It is also recommended that the color top coat be reapplied after a few years, which will make it look and perform like new.

like lightmaster, i added salt for the feel. and it is great! between 2500 and 3000. The bad news i found out later was that the acrylic coating i have on my patterned concrete doesn't like salt water. argh.

as an aside, i took a sample to a leslie's store the other day just for fun since i was going to be in the area and asked to measure salt also. the guy asked me if i had a SWG; i said "no, i added salt because i like the feel of the water." 30 seconds later, he says "so you just dumped salt in the pool for no good reason, huh?" so i repeated, "no, i added it because i like the feel." i guess i look like rodney dangerfield....

lol. I just ordered the salt drop test reagents from the tftestkits website. Was gonna use the vial from my SpeedStir anyway and I typed up the directions from the picture of the kit. Saved about $15 on the test that way. Btw, prior to adding salt, from just a month give or take of having water and chlorine and swimming, the salt level had already risen enough to show up on the test as 200ppm. Its the minimum the test will read, however, so I added enough salt to raise it to 2000.

Every pool store I've ever been to or heard about someone else going to, the employees seem to know about as much about pools and pool chemistry, as a snake oil salesman does about snake oil.

I completely refilled my pool back in March or April ... I am already measuring 800ppm of salt with the Taylor kit ;)

FYI, if you use 25 ml of water for the salt test, each drop is then 80ppm. Still only need 1 drop of the 1st reagent.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.