Los Angeles
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
Hi! Boring (possibly historical question) - what does BBB mean? In reading about different topics, I see this a lot but wasn’t able to figure it out. Also who started the TFP site? It’s amazing!

BBB is the origins of TFPC. BBB stands for Bleach, Baking Soda, and Borax. The name has evolved since most pools never need Baking Soda or Borax. So TroubleFree Pool Care is the current moniker.

Reactions: Mdragger88 and kul
Historical indeed ;)

BBB is/was a method of pool care, in many ways the precursor of TFPC. It stands for "Bleach, Borax, Baking Soda" and is intended to be a system of pool care based on products you can find in the grocery store rather than a pool store. The term used to be used extensively here to describe the pool care methods taught, but as time went on it became clear that the term didn't quite describe what is taught here. Trouble Free Pool Care (TFPC) is much more concerned on adequate testing and using what is necessary, where those necessary products are obtained isn't important. Also the name BBB is kind of a misnomer since pools chlorinated with bleach rarely need to raise pH or TA, so 2/3rds of the name isn't even used often.

As for the history of the site, as I understand it, Ben Powell started a forum to teach and perfect his ideas regarding the relationship of FC and CYA. Eventually he was unable to continue maintaining the site and so some of the contributors of that site started TFP to continue helping pool owners and fleshing out the system. I'm not entirely sure of everyone who was involved, but I believe Dave Smith (retired founder of TFTestkits) was one of the key people.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.