What is a "successful" pool opening?

daveinsurgent

May 13, 2020
Southern Ontario
We just bought this house last winter, the pool had already been closed; called the same company back to open it.

They charged me $111/hr per person for 3 people, and when they left, the pool was still cloudy, which I think is OK (pump/filter has to run for a day or so?) but the bottom of the pool was still full of leaves and gunk, there were pieces of trim debris in the bottom..

I asked my sister in law who's the only other person who I know who owns a pool, and theirs is much larger, they paid the same amount but said it was ready to swim when the company left (I'm skeptical of this? we're in the same climate)

Sorry, I always try to assume best intentions before complaining but I'd like to be sure.

Attachments

• pool.jpg
    pool.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 22
Welcome to TFP.

At my pool service Initial Cleanup is a separate service from Pool Opening. The opening guys get the cover off, equipment working, and water circulating.

If you want Initial Cleaning another crew arrives in a few days and will vacuum out the bottom of the pool with their cleaning rig and if you want do a chemical check.

You will discover there is nothing standard in the pool business. It is the wild west with pool companies doing things all different ways. You have to ask and not assume around pools.

Last edited:
That price is inline with what i paid recently. The pool guy removed the safety cover, folded and can get it, got the pump and heater fired up and the first dose of chlorine. I kept on top of the cleaning and vaccumingvsnd be returned a week later to inspect our pool (the openinbcand inspection was going covered by our insurance company) getting it back to clear blue water would be a lot more in some cases. I recommend getting a mesh safety cover. That will keep the debris out. If you do that and close the pool late and open early while water temp is low it will be a breeze to get it swimable. Mine sat closed end unattended for 18 months so it was a bit of work..

Thanks both for your replies. I ran the filter for 24 hours and then we've been vacuuming the bottom, it needed a backwash (PSI got to 25? after backwash down to 12). I think I am getting the hang of this and it sounds like what I received was more or less in line with other practices.

Thanks again!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.