what is a better pump

May 13, 2012
Looking at the Hayward matrix and the Hayward powerflo 2 can someone tell me which is a better pump. I know the matrix is a little more expensive but are there really that much difference.

I believe the matrix is a bit more efficient (gpm/watts). If you are buying a new pump, I highly recommend getting a 2-speed! On low speed the pump will take about 1/2 the energy to move the same amount of water as high speed. The matrix 2-speed 1 hp is a great pump...it is the one I have.

If you tell us about your pool, filter and plumbing we can suggest a good match for it.

24x52 sharkline I I have decided to go with the Hayward s210T pro series filter and a 1h/p pump. I was going to use the intex 2650 sand filter I have but it come apart at the hose to tank connection so I am sending it back to amazon and ordering the new sand filter and trying to decide which pump to buy. Funds are getting thin that is why I did not include any two speed pumps. So if you could just steer towards a cheaper but good pump.

Then a good lower cost single speed pump would be the Matrix SP1591 3/4 hp that can be had online for around $200 with shipping included.

For $50 more you can get the 2-speed Matrix SP15922S 1 hp pump.

If you wanted to go even cheaper you could look at something like this:http://www.poolsupplyworld.com/poolsupplies/poolpumps/products/PSP1075-6.htm...though I have no experience with it.

Then a good lower cost single speed pump would be the Matrix SP1591 3/4 hp that can be had online for around $200 with shipping included.
I have found the matrix sp1592 for around 160.00 on amazon

I have an old Powerflo 2 (3/4 HP) that I'm keeping around as a spare pump - I actually used it for 2 weeks last summer inbetween a 1.5 HP Superpump that the motor failed / rusted out and the replacement SuperFlo 1.5 HP that is installed right now. Only difference I can see on the manuals / sales brochures is that the Matrix is a newer design. Either one should do a fine job for your pool / filter. You probably don't need any more than the 3/4 HP models in either case, IMO.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.