What if I don't open my pool this summer.

Jun 13, 2013
I have a neighbor who asked me this question today.
I thought he was joking but he is serious. Not sure what his motivation is yet, likely cost, lack of use and dis-interest.
We live in central NJ, he has a 34 ft Grecian vinyl liner pool. I am not sure of the age of pool or liner.
It is covered I believe with a with a solid safety cover with mesh drain.
He has an SWG which I think is busted (he may have had it repaired by now).
If you do a InterWeb search of this you will find dozens of forums and videos that say No ,No ,No never do this citing algae, bugs, municipal rules, etc.
All that aside, we are more interested in if there would be permanent (i.e. expensive) damage, assuming an opening next year.
Surely the cover will suffer with an added 3-4 months of strong UV exposure. Assuming his lines and equipment are dry and plugged, I would think they would be safe. Really just leaving the liner and stairs exposed I guess.
I have seen some really green pools in my time but never anything a good SLAM'ing didn't cure.
I have also seen some pools that went untouched for years. but these were left uncovered and completely neglected so of course they did require major work to repair.
So I would love to hear opinions, especially from those who have 1st hand knowledge e.g. know someone who has done this...

Thanks,
Snarksdad

If you do a InterWeb search of this you will find dozens of forums and videos that say No ,No ,No never do this citing algae, bugs, municipal rules, etc.
Pools sit abandoned everywhere due to damage, foreclosures or that sweet little old lady who just doesn't have it in her anymore. It's no worse than what already happens.
All that aside, we are more interested in if there would be permanent (i.e. expensive) damage, assuming an opening next year.
The water can be fixed or exchanged.

The plumbing/equipment won't care until it gets cold. If everything was properly winterized it can go another year.

The liner may get stained from the swamp water or it may scub clean. If the PH gets too low for an extended time it will wrinkle like a pool wide fingerprint. It's crazy if you've ever seen one. But, evidently your neighbor has bigger concerns at the moment.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.